What Age do Chicks start to Roost?

Moonchild

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Spartanburg,SC
Just curious about the age chicks start to roost on a roost rather than huddled in a corner? Mine are 6weeks and getting big but they still all pile in a plastic tub(the nursery) at night. And all are suppose to be hens. So any ideas and when did yours???? Thanks for the Info!!!!!!!

Mine was one week when I put them in a bird cage with a stick. Does that count?
smile.png

If you provide them a perch, they will generally make use of it even when pretty young. (With the exception of silkies, many of whom do not like perching at all.) At six weeks I'd put a perch of some kind in there and see what they do!

They will start trying to roost very early.Especialy if you have flighty type birds such as OEGB etc.I had my OEGB's roosting on brooder box lid at one month old.I have an OEGB hen with chicks outside and they have been flying up to gate top 3ft high at about 2 months old.Most will try to roost fairly early especialy the roo's.Silkie's and frizzle's generaly don't roost very high so they will most likely stay ground level.If they are in a covered tote which they cant find a ledge or something they will most likely just huddle.My oldest daughter once made this cooky lil roost for some duckwing's I had out of some of her son's Many Tinker toy log's.They would get right up on it the box.

My chicks are 2 weeks old and have been roosting on top of the water and feed container. I made a small roost about 6 inches high for them today and they love it. I have BR and BSL.

I have something for the chicks to roost on as soon as they are in the brooder box. They love jumping up on them and jumping on top of a sibling. If I can't put a roost in I put a 2x4 on it's side for a temperary roost. They love it. They are hunkered down just a couple of inches off the floor. They are soooo cute.

I have 2 week old bantam chicks and I put a long branch in the brooder with them and they took to it right away. Some parts of the branch are floor level and other sections are 8 inches high. In just 1 week they are pros flying up and down. At first they walked up to the top the long way, but in 2 days they were jumping/flying on it and being really good at it. I switch it around, turn it upside down and have added a 8 inch high stump. They seem to love sitting on that too and I have had no problem with them trying to sit on the feeder and water bottle.

Even though they play on the branch and stump and sit there a lot, they still sleep on the floor, so I guess they are not actually roosting. But they are having fun.

Back
Top Bottom