What Age do Chicks start to Roost?

Moonchild

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Spartanburg,SC
Just curious about the age chicks start to roost on a roost rather than huddled in a corner? Mine are 6weeks and getting big but they still all pile in a plastic tub(the nursery) at night. And all are suppose to be hens. So any ideas and when did yours???? Thanks for the Info!!!!!!!

I know this is an old post, but I just saw my chicks jump up on the roost tonight with their mum. The roost is about 1.2 meter high and the chicks are 19 days old. They went straight under mum though.

Attachments

• 814EAA0A-C400-4D42-8A4F-A72AA6636E3E.jpeg
    814EAA0A-C400-4D42-8A4F-A72AA6636E3E.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 5D131B3F-2884-441C-BF46-E06E0AC79C31.jpeg
    5D131B3F-2884-441C-BF46-E06E0AC79C31.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 8
If you provide them a perch, they will generally make use of it even when pretty young. (With the exception of silkies, many of whom do not like perching at all.) At six weeks I'd put a perch of some kind in there and see what they do!

My chicks are 2 weeks old and have been roosting on top of the water and feed container. I made a small roost about 6 inches high for them today and they love it. I have BR and BSL.

I have something for the chicks to roost on as soon as they are in the brooder box. They love jumping up on them and jumping on top of a sibling. If I can't put a roost in I put a 2x4 on it's side for a temperary roost. They love it. They are hunkered down just a couple of inches off the floor. They are soooo cute.

When I put my big girls out in their coop at about 8 weeks old, at first they would all huddle together in a corner. The coop we had purchased had the roost a low to the coop floor so my husband raise it. At the advice of my brother, I went out every night for 5 nights in a row at dusk and put each one up on the roost until they got the message 😂.
For our 3 week old chicks 🐥 we have a small roost and they loves to perch all together.

Back
Top Bottom