What Age do Chicks start to Roost?

Mine napped and played on roosts in the brooder but just last night started roosting at night in the coop. Imagine my surprise when all but my silkies were "missing" last night! It took me a minute to look up. They are about 2 months old.

I've had mini roost bars available for my 8 chicks since day 1. They started using them the first week. They have been in the coop and run since the second week. My run has a huge jungle gym with lots of things to climb and roost on which they have been utilizing the whole time. During their 5th week, they have now started to spend the night on the big girl roost, almost 5 ft off the ground. I have a number of levels for them to get up there for safety but a few of them fly right up.
The past 2 nights, I've been surprised that the 2 Silkies are joining them at the highest level. I hope this keeps up as it makes clean up much easier with my poop board and PDZ underneath them.

This is at night at about three weeks old. However these are a gamefowl cross that were raised by a broody gamehen until a fox incident at about two weeks. incubator chicks will likely start roosting for the night much later.

Mine just turned 16 weeks and have just started using the roost in the coop....Thought they were going to stay piled up in the corner forever!!!! lol
Ok ours are now 9 weeks and all still sleep huddled in a small corner with the momma. I was getting worried and they poop in there all night!!

Back
Top Bottom