No chickens allowed in Woodbury NJ (yet)

Ruckous

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Four weeks ago my wife and I decided that we were ready to take the plunge. I dug into our municipal codes found that chickens were not allowed. Three weeks ago I wrote an email it to the mayor, city counsel and the local paper, as did my wife. We asked people we knew in town, that knew of our desire for chickens and were not opposed to send it and ask then to have people they know do so as well. The email response was very disappointing. Just one person. The news paper did interview my wife and I and wrote an article. I received an email from the mayor saying he wouldn't oppose the idea. Two weeks ago I went before city counsel (my first city meeting ever) and inquired about where my request stood. I was told the board of health and city solicitor needed to look into it. One week ago as I was coming back from a walk around the block with my daughter the mayor pulled up to my house. He said reiterated his non-opposition, but didn't think it was likely. Tomorrow I go back to the city counsel meeting. I plan on giving a speech dismissing the possible concerns of residents (noise, odor, disease, coop appearance, and property value). This week my wife and I will start circulating a petition. I hope that people too lazy to forward an email, will not be to lazy to put their name on a piece of paper we are holding in front of them.

I would appreciate any facts with references that I could add to my speech and petition statement covering: noise, odor, disease, coop appearance, and property value.

Also any pointers as to where to go from here. I am hoping to present the petition two weeks from now.

Thanks

Ruckous and JeanieRN. Do you both still live in Woodbury NJ, and have chickens? I'm moving there soon and really want chickens. During house hunting I saw several homes with backyard chickens through their chain link fence. I wouldn't want to go through getting them, getting attached and then having them taken away. How did the petition go? I'm willing to help and sign the petition.
-Sophia

I think I know all of you posters already
tongue.png
!

But just in case - tonight we will be discussing backyard chicken hens at the Council Meeting in Woodbury. I have chickens in Woodbury and have been "outed" and now it's a thing.

We are asking at the most basic level that the definition of "livestock" - which is typically a commercial agriculture term - be amended and remove the word "chickens" from the definition.

I am sure this is just the beginning of a larger discussion.

The meeting is open to the public and anyone can attend and/or speak.

7:30 pm on the 2nd floor of City Hall at 33 Delaware Street.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or email me at threeltlbirds at juno dot com.

hello i am a woodbury resident and i will like to know the next city council meeting pertaining chickens in woodbury....i will like to support the movement in any way thanks

Back
Top Bottom