Will chicks 'dust bathe' in pine shavings?

speckledegg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
W. WA
One of my chicks seems to be 'burrowing', rolling around and digging in her pine shavings in the brooder. The other 2 are just watching her and picking the shavings off of her back. Is this typical behavior? Is she trying to dust bathe?

Absolutely! It won't be long before the others join in. I think it's so cute when they start doing this...however it does stir up some fierce dust
tongue.png

Thanks! Just making sure this is normal and she's not having a seizure and dying on me. I'm a little nervous still!
big_smile.png

I can't wait to let ours try it-if these darn thunderstorms would quit happening every evening! I have the sand all ready for them, but once we are ready to take them out, the storms roll in. At least Saturday should be a good day to try it if we don't have a chance before then!

When they dust bathe so they lay on their sides and wiggle around and kick their legs? My 2 week old rir was doing this in a container of moist dirt and freaked me out! I thought something was wrong with it...them it dawned on me maybe it was dust bathing?

Quote:
One of my 9 day old EE's was doing that this morning! It was so cute. Same thing with her pals picking the shavings off her. Can't wait to see them do the real thing outside!

Mine are five weeks old now, and just recently started doing the same thing. They really do look dead with their necks all stretched out and their legs splayed behind and wings spread. Really started me the first time until I heard the happy trilling, LOL!

Back
Top Bottom