Tylan 50 injectable taken orally?

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I've been reading old post for an hour now. So may different opinions. Several people say they give the Tylan directly into the mouth instead of giving injection. Doing that would make me feel much better, because the injection scares me to death. But it's whats best for her...

So........... any advise on giving it orally?

Thanks.

I'm not a Tylan fan, but I do often give injectible meds orally as they seem to work faster.

Generally, if giving meds I give the first dose orally and the remaining doses in the breast. There are exceptions; some meds are so thick like Noromycin that I only give it orally.

Yep, already bought the injectable type. It was the only stuff I could find around here. Tried a couple feed stores before I ended up at tractor supply.

Ill try giving it to her orally this morning then. I'm really worried about her, only saw minor improvements from the first dose, but I don't think we gave her enough. She is breathing easier, and I'm not seeing the "snot" coming from her nose. But she is still very weak.

Thanks

Injectable works better when injected. You can give either way, but it works better for their bodies if it's injected into the breast tissue. I've tried both ways and it seems to work faster injected. You don't have as much loss of potency and better absorption that way. Hope that makes sense.

I give mine 1/2 a CC for medium and 1cc for large. If I'm doing oral doses I typically stick with 1cc just to compete with the loss of absorption.

Don't let injections scare you---it's REALLY easy. Most of mine take them BETTER than oral and it stresses them less. I do it after dark when everyone is roosting and use a red headlamp so as not to bother them. If you do decide to do injections make sure you switch sides every time.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

More info at the bottom for HOW TO inject
smile.png

Last edited:
It's true that giving tylan 50 injectable orally takes longer to absorb into their system and there's a loss of potency, injecting is best. Dosing orally, is normally 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens, 1/10cc for chicks. Because of the time it takes to see improvements in the chicken, you can dose orally 5-7 days, but not longer. Injecting with tylan 50 is normally 3-5 days.

Thanks for the info guys. I was going to try the injection, but wen to find her breast muscle, but she lost so much weight being sick there wasn't much to be found
sad.png
Didn't realize I would hvae to give more for oral. Ill give her a bit more and wait.

The respiratory issues are diminishing, but shes still so lethargic. I'm barely getting her to eat or drink. Force fed her yogurt this morning. This afternoon she ate a bit of egg from my hand & she will drink a bit.

When dosing with tylan do you have to not eat eggs for a while afterwards?

If so, what's the waiting period.

Also, I've been giving .5 ml orally for 4 days and don't see much improvement. It's a full sized Light Brahma. Should I dose more because it's a bigger bird?

Can they be overdosed on antibiotics and be hurt by it?

Thanks for any info!

For Tylan Soluble Powder given in the water, the egg withdrawal time is 1 day. For Tylan 50 injectable, the wait time is 1 week. For oral use of the Tylan 50, I suppose a day is good, but waiting a week may be best.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I just don't want to be taking antibiotics myself through my eggs that I don't need.

I work in a nursing home and see every day so many med resistant bacteria. It's crazy!

Back
Top Bottom