I have Tylan 50 Inject-able. Can I put that in water for sick chickens? And how much?

bigmomma78737

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2023
I've called the vet but am not sure when they will get back to me. We have two chickens with eye gunk, one chicken who is laying down a lot, and another with a crackling in her lungs. I am thinking some kind of respiratory issue. I (for some reason) have a bottle of Tylan 50 Injection. I think I must have purchased before they took it off the shelves. It may be too old.

We have 34 chickens total.

I've called the vet but am not sure when they will get back to me. We have two chickens with eye gunk, one chicken who is laying down a lot, and another with a crackling in her lungs. I am thinking some kind of respiratory issue. I (for some reason) have a bottle of Tylan 50 Injection. I think I must have purchased before they took it off the shelves. It may be too old.

You can give it orally instead of by injection.

Additional question: should I assume sick chickens are not laying and, therefore, we can eat the eggs I have today? Or should I wait to find out what I am dealing with?

I realize once I start antibiotics I cannot eat eggs

do you know the amounts? there are no instructions on here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tylan-50-for-the-whole-flock.1534816/
I apologize - I find the answer here: .25ml per pound of weight given 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. I hope this is accurate

I gave tylosin powder in water for 7 days and have been throwing out eggs for the next two weeks. Today was my first day to be able to collect eggs and I just now found one chicken "gurgling" and the rooster is lethargic and crusty eyed. I thought everyone was getting better but now this.

Any advice?

No need for an egg withdrawal with Tylosin in the water. What are the symptoms you are seeing? Bubbles or foam in one eye, eyelid or face swelling, sneeze, cough, gasping, or secretions from the beak or nostrils? Most respiratory diseases including mycoplasma, are chronic and may come back. They are also contagious, so maybe those 2 are just now coming down with it. If you ever lose one, getting a necropsy through your state vet is the best way to know what disease you are dealing with. There could even be 2 different diseases, such as a virus and MG. If your state vet cannot help, Zoologix can send materials to collect specimen for PCR testing of 8 different diseases, but it needs to be collected when the chicken is symptomatic.

No need for an egg withdrawal with Tylosin in the water. What are the symptoms you are seeing? Bubbles or foam in one eye, eyelid or face swelling, sneeze, cough, gasping, or secretions from the beak or nostrils? Most respiratory diseases including mycoplasma, are chronic and may come back. They are also contagious, so maybe those 2 are just now coming down with it. If you ever lose one, getting a necropsy through your state vet is the best way to know what disease you are dealing with. There could even be 2 different diseases, such as a virus and MG. If your state vet cannot help, Zoologix can send materials to collect specimen for PCR testing of 8 different diseases, but it needs to be collected when the chicken is symptomatic.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I have reached out to Texas A&M and am looking to get tested for Mycoplasma. So appreciate folks like you who are willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom