enemas save lives, baby chick in pain, not pooping

Chickenlooko

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
I am brand new to posting on BYC, though I have refered to this site for the past ten days to get my chick through. I am so thankful for this forum, I have learned soooo much and saved my chicks life because of the tips I got here!

ENEMAS are a scary idea when you are new to raising chicks. They are so small. My chick (8 days old) had an almost marble sized hard ball just under it's vent and wasn't pooping even though it was wiggling and struggling to. I tried so many things but what ultimately worked was a dropper full of warm water. It didn't work immediately. Actually the first couple of times I tried to gently squeeze the water into the vent and just as soon as I removed the dropper it squirted out like a squirt gun. It couldn't get past the blockage, which was too big to pass. Poor thing cried and really suffered for a few days. Not able to lay down, sleeping standing up and overall just a sad chick. I decided I didn't have much to lose. So I put the end of the dropper in just far enough so that the water couldn't escape. It takes a few tries unfortunately. The third time I did it, after the first two water poops, the chick sort of retained the water for a few hours which allowed the poop to slightly soften enough to get things started. It was slow goin, but eventually we were able to get out a good poop. I did maybe 5 enemas total with quite a few hours between for the chick to recoup from the stress. Then things start moving again!

I got this tip from this site when all hope was lost. Today (two days later) this chick can now eat and drink and best of all poop on her own. She is still weak but improving hourly since the last big lump of poop came out. They said you might have to do it a few times, which was true in my case. I'm so greatful for the tip!

Also, yogurt, molasses (as a gentle laxative), duramycin, vita-sol
Remedies that I found researching my chicks symptoms. Search these words if you have a small chick with problems. A combination of these remedies have been so successful for my chick and I wouldn't have known what to do at all!

Good luck, and don't give up

Hello my 2week old chick is suffer from the same problem .early in the morning i gave him feed with yougort what many people suggested here byc .and also giving him ORS .his food is digested .he cant poo now he was doing it with pain watery poo in the day time.he is in soo much pain even when i touch him he cries with pain.my last option is going to be your idea .i am hoping it will help him.

That's great news! And good information to know- thank you!

I just wanted to add, I just had a chick who was straining to go- and once the poo was out, her vent was inflamed, so I put some Preparation H (the ointment, not the creme, although the creme might work well too) on her vent and it helped her all the more. I think it helps lube and protect the skin from further inflammation and irritation. Just a dab is needed and works to soothe the soreness. I found that after I put it on her vent, she would poo almost immediately- so maybe it too has a softening effect?

Anyway, glad your peep is ok and many thanks for sharing!

I am brand new to posting on BYC, though I have refered to this site for the past ten days to get my chick through. I am so thankful for this forum, I have learned soooo much and saved my chicks life because of the tips I got here!

ENEMAS are a scary idea when you are new to raising chicks. They are so small. My chick (8 days old) had an almost marble sized hard ball just under it's vent and wasn't pooping even though it was wiggling and struggling to. I tried so many things but what ultimately worked was a dropper full of warm water. It didn't work immediately. Actually the first couple of times I tried to gently squeeze the water into the vent and just as soon as I removed the dropper it squirted out like a squirt gun. It couldn't get past the blockage, which was too big to pass. Poor thing cried and really suffered for a few days. Not able to lay down, sleeping standing up and overall just a sad chick. I decided I didn't have much to lose. So I put the end of the dropper in just far enough so that the water couldn't escape. It takes a few tries unfortunately. The third time I did it, after the first two water poops, the chick sort of retained the water for a few hours which allowed the poop to slightly soften enough to get things started. It was slow goin, but eventually we were able to get out a good poop. I did maybe 5 enemas total with quite a few hours between for the chick to recoup from the stress. Then things start moving again!

I got this tip from this site when all hope was lost. Today (two days later) this chick can now eat and drink and best of all poop on her own. She is still weak but improving hourly since the last big lump of poop came out. They said you might have to do it a few times, which was true in my case. I'm so greatful for the tip!

Also, yogurt, molasses (as a gentle laxative), duramycin, vita-sol
Remedies that I found researching my chicks symptoms. Search these words if you have a small chick with problems. A combination of these remedies have been so successful for my chick and I wouldn't have known what to do at all!

Good luck, and don't give up
My chick is suffering with this now
Tried everything
What is in the enema solution

Cleaned it agian and gently pick again at it gave her sugar water and she pooped a big one
So hopefully she will be okay
Redness is going down and she ate a bit
This is like having a baby around
This is my first time doing this

Back
Top Bottom