how lond after mating do turkey hens lay there eggs

turkey lover

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2013
just wondering if there is a time frame after turkeys mate several times when the hen should start to lay eggs .or does it all depend on the weather.also if my hen has a inclosed coop,does it still need a box

Wiki Answers
The gobbler's sperm is stored in the hen's oviduct, so that fertilized eggs may be laid up to four weeks after mating. One mating is usually sufficient to fertilize an entire clutch. A hen lays an egg nearly every day until her nest contains 8-15 (average, 12; smaller clutches by younger birds), but won't begin incubating constantly until after all eggs are laid.
A hen turkey doesn't begin incubating until she lays the entire clutch of eggs, and incubates it for 28 days so that hatching is synchronized.

I have royal palm hens 9 months old & one of them is laying.

Do you recommend penning the hens w only one tom? I have two and today separated one from the hens... Also, have you incubated or do you always let the hens do the work?

i'm still new to turkeys, i only have one tom, & two hens, but if i find more info. i will post it.

thank you so much,for the info. do you separate the tom from the hen when she gets ready to lay her eggs,she is his only friend,an he gets a little upset when he don't see her

I have 1 royal palm hen that began laying Feb 14th. I took the eggs as she was laying them about every other day. Now she is laying everyday and I have left them in her nest. She has 6 now and has been laying 1 almost every day. She is with 1 tom. I have 2 other RP toms in another pen. She has sat on the nest over night a couple of times, then she gets up so I don't know when or if she will actually sit. She is 9 months old and so are the toms. I picked the nicest calmest one for her mate in hopes if she hatches any hens I can mate them next year with one of the other toms. I'm new to this.

Thank u for this in formation my to is pretty mellow we can walk up yo ii pick him up kids can pet him he font care he's all good h

the hen will go back & deposit eggs untill she has between 9 & 15 eggs before starting to incubate them, that way they will all hatch about the same time. my hen now has 12, she's been on them steady for approx 4 days, she got up yesterday about 6pm & fed for a while then got back on the nest before dark.

My turkey hen has layed about 10-12 now and is sitting all the time....however....the tom comes in and does his mating dance to get her off the eggs then sweeps a couple out and pecks and eats them! She gets right upset and tries to get them back from him. Is there a cure? Do I have to separate them? I really have no where else to put him though.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom