Help with constructing a run for buidling noobs

cwrite

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Queensland, Australia
We have bought posts and mesh to build the run which is going to be detached & connect to the coop via a short tunnel. The dimensions are 2m by 4m. My husband has dug the post holes about 20cm deep and hit clay. He's declared that nothing is going to dig under that and stopped. He also does not want to concrete the posts in.
So I'm wondering how we level the holes so that the posts (which are precut to 2.2m are level at the top?
I'm also wondering how to get the posts up to fix the top cross poles without them falling over. I thought that if we put one side together on the ground, lifted it and then added the post for the shorter end side then the structure will remain upright while we add the rest of it.
As I'm clearly clueless about construction and DH is an IT geek, any advice will be very welcome.

We have bought posts and mesh to build the run which is going to be detached & connect to the coop via a short tunnel. The dimensions are 2m by 4m. My husband has dug the post holes about 20cm deep and hit clay. He's declared that nothing is going to dig under that and stopped. He also does not want to concrete the posts in.
So I'm wondering how we level the holes so that the posts (which are precut to 2.2m are level at the top?
I'm also wondering how to get the posts up to fix the top cross poles without them falling over. I thought that if we put one side together on the ground, lifted it and then added the post for the shorter end side then the structure will remain upright while we add the rest of it.
As I'm clearly clueless about construction and DH is an IT geek, any advice will be very welcome.
I am building my run, which is 12'X24', to sit on top of the ground so that I wouldn't have to dig post holes. I don't know if that would work for you, but it's been easier for me considering I am working alone.

You're welcome. When I was building I made one side, then stood it up and attached a 1X4X8 to the 4X4's as a kick stand and leveled it, then attached the other side. It took some rigging but I managed to get it all level. Because my ground is not level I have had to go back and add some fill dirt around the run so that there are no gaps between the bottom board and the ground. Now I am laying the wire apron to prevent predators from digging under and filling the runs with sand before I attach the wire.

I did something similar on my run, building a 15'x15' box out of 2x12's. Then I dug a square trench so the 2x12's were buried 6 inches. All of the posts were screwed to the 2x12's, and eventually I filled in the box with 6 inches of sand. Keeps everything well drained and is easy to clean.

Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. We have termites here so I'll leave the wood on top of the ground and hopefully convince hubby to dig a narrower trench for the wire vermin mesh. It seems so simple now that it's been explained. Lol. I found so much on here about coops but not much on runs.

I also want to cut a pop door into the side of my converted play house/coop. How do you cut into wood when there is no edge? Is that what a circle saw is for? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but when I look through the pics of coops going up, the holes just appear like magic.

Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. We have termites here so I'll leave the wood on top of the ground and hopefully convince hubby to dig a narrower trench for the wire vermin mesh.  It seems so simple now that it's been explained. Lol. I found so much on here about coops but not much on runs. 

I also want to cut a pop door into the side of my converted play house/coop.  How do you cut into wood when there is no edge?  Is that what a circle saw is for?  Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but when I look through the pics of coops going up, the holes just appear like magic.

To cut an opening in an existing structure, you will need a jig saw and a drill with a bit the same diameter as the saw blade width.
First, mark the opening with a pencil, and drill holes in each corner. The jig saw blade should drop in and allow you to cut along the penciled lines, creating your door opening.

Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. We have termites here so I'll leave the wood on top of the ground and hopefully convince hubby to dig a narrower trench for the wire vermin mesh.  It seems so simple now that it's been explained. Lol. I found so much on here about coops but not much on runs. 

I also want to cut a pop door into the side of my converted play house/coop.  How do you cut into wood when there is no edge?  Is that what a circle saw is for?  Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but when I look through the pics of coops going up, the holes just appear like magic.

You call your neighbor that has at least one of every tool!! Now to find that neighbor :D

Back
Top Bottom