Hardware Cloth on bottom of the run...

TheCluckFamily

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Henderson, TX
Our original idea to help predator proof was to put hardware cloth on the bottom of the run and cover with dirt and sand. Being a newbie to chickens, I thought it was a good idea. A lady at Lowe's last night begged me not to do that saying it will amputate their feet. What are your thoughts? I wasn't trying to be cruel... I just don't know what I'm doing yet!

I'm not sure how she figured they would cut their feet off? Isn't the wire going to be covered with dirt/sand? Even if it weren't, chickens are routinely kept in cages with wire floors. If it didn't work, I'm sure the practice would have ended years ago. Go for it.

Last edited:
I have the same question! Due to rats I need to enclose the own completely. I was thinking 1/4" hardware cloth all the way around and attached to the bottom with 6" of sand & dirt on top of the wire. In the fall, adding leaves, winter some straw.
Any further thoughts?

Thanks! I will get 1/2" then. Since rats tunnel I plan on enclosing the bottom as well. Any dangers for theh hens when they dig & scratch?

Back
Top Bottom