gigantic red worm

tofupup

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
One of my hens pooped out this gigantic red worm today. Stretched out, it would be at least a foot long. I gave them safeguard this morning; is that sufficient? What the hell kind of worm is this?

One of my hens pooped out this gigantic red worm today. Stretched out, it would be at least a foot long. I gave them safeguard this morning; is that sufficient? What the hell kind of worm is this?

I'm no expert, but that looks like a roundworm to me.

-Kathy

so roundworms can be red? I know the photo is crappy, but that worm in real life was very red. All the photos I've googled online make it seem like they are white.

Could it be a giant gapeworm? Do gapeworms even come out of their intestines?

so roundworms can be red? I know the photo is crappy, but that worm in real life was very red. All the photos I've googled online make it seem like they are white.

Could it be a giant gapeworm? Do gapeworms even come out of their intestines?
I don't think any other worm would be that big.

-Kathy

oh wow, really? So should I worm with Safeguard (fenbenzadole) or Wazine (piperazine)? I fished the worm thing out of the trash and am taking it to the vet's office tomorrow if she doesn't poop out another one before then so they can tell me what it is.

oh wow, really? So should I worm with Safeguard (fenbenzadole) or Wazine (piperazine)? I fished the worm thing out of the trash and am taking it to the vet's office tomorrow if she doesn't poop out another one before then so they can tell me what it is.
Wazine only gets roundworms and it's not as safe as Safeguard according to what I've read, so I would give the Safeguard. If your vet suggests ivermectin, show them this:

Source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.

Ascaridia spp = roundworm
Heterakis spp = cecal worm
Capillaria spp = capillary worm

Then ask them to suggest a worming program that targets those worms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom