Need help identifying and treating worms in sick chicken!

She definitely had round worm. If the load is heavy enough it can actually cause a blockage. I've had a couple of birds that took 7 - 9 days to start passing droppings normally again after worming, so I would give it some more time. Only feed her her normal feed, crumbles or pellets, only water soluble foods for now, nothing fiberous or hard to digest.

She definitely had round worm. If the load is heavy enough it can actually cause a blockage. I've had a couple of birds that took 7 - 9 days to start passing droppings normally again after worming, so I would give it some more time. Only feed her her normal feed, crumbles or pellets, only water soluble foods for now, nothing fiberous or hard to digest.
Thanks so much for your response. I’ll keep a close eye and keep her on the crumbled feed and maybe tube feed to supplement for a few more days until she starts eating more on her own.

Just curious-what makes you think it’s not sour crop? Or is it just that I should give more time before suspecting that? I just passed 1 year of being a chicken mom so still learning tons!

She seemed slightly more perky today and a little interested in food. She has no interest in treats oddly-only her crumbles. Always been that way though. I think she always preferred to avoid the chaos when treats were out.

Posting most recent poop 💩 and a pick of her 🐔

Attachments

• IMG_1752.jpeg
    IMG_1752.jpeg
    737.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 14
Sour crop is often a symptom rather than a thing on it's own. If digestion is slowed for any reason, the crop doesn't empty normally and the food sitting there sours, thus sour crop. So worms could be the reason. There could also be something else causing it to be slow, but since it's known that she did have a worm load, that's the best place to start. I do see some solids in her droppings, so that is good. Hopefully it will improve.

Sour crop is often a symptom rather than a thing on it's own. If digestion is slowed for any reason, the crop doesn't empty normally and the food sitting there sours, thus sour crop. So worms could be the reason. There could also be something else causing it to be slow, but since it's known that she did have a worm load, that's the best place to start. I do see some solids in her droppings, so that is good. Hopefully it will improve.

Ah-I see. Makes sense!

I brought her to the vet today. She has lost 1.5 lb in just a few days. They said there is indefinitely something wrong with theWe aren’t able to do bloodwork and xray as they recommended because it’s nearly $800 😭 but we opted to have them treat her with some medications to try to help for now.

They prescribed an antibiotic,
Ah-I see. Makes sense!

I brought her to the vet today. She has lost 1.5 lb in just a few days. They said there is indefinitely something wrong with her crop and she was very dehydtrated and weak. We aren’t able to do bloodwork and xray as they recommended because it’s nearly $800 😭 but we opted to have them treat her with some medications to try to help for now.

Bringing in stool tomorrow once she goes poop.

They prescribed an antibiotic, something to get the crop moving and food for tube feeding. They also gave her fluids and some extra vitamins.

She isn’t looking better yet. Has pooped now at least. Not sure what else we can try 😭

Ah-I see. Makes sense!

I brought her to the vet today. She has lost 1.5 lb in just a few days. They said there is indefinitely something wrong with theWe aren’t able to do bloodwork and xray as they recommended because it’s nearly $800 😭 but we opted to have them treat her with some medications to try to help for now.

They prescribed an antibiotic,

Ah-I see. Makes sense!

I brought her to the vet today. She has lost 1.5 lb in just a few days. They said there is indefinitely something wrong with her crop and she was very dehydtrated and weak. We aren’t able to do bloodwork and xray as they recommended because it’s nearly $800 😭 but we opted to have them treat her with some medications to try to help for now.

Bringing in stool tomorrow once she goes poop.

They prescribed an antibiotic, something to get the crop moving and food for tube feeding. They also gave her fluids and some extra vitamins.

She isn’t looking better yet. Has pooped now at least. Not sure what else we can try 😭
Checking on what the final outcome was. I have a bird that had a heavy round worm load as well. She has been lethargic now for 3 days and just doesnt seem to be perking up.

What type of worm is suspected, and do you have any pictures? What have you used for treatment?
99.99% certain it was roundworm. Will post a picture when i get out to coop again.

Treated whole flock with Wormeze (I believe it Wazine and not recommend for chickens anymore). It seemed to work. There is worm load in both my sick chickens poop and one more, I think. I looked in the coop this morning and only saw worm load in one other poop.

I think the sick chicken is perking up this morning. i am feeding her eggs and vitamins.

All other chickens appear healthy.

99.99% certain it was roundworm. Will post a picture when i get out to coop again.

Treated whole flock with Wormeze (I believe it Wazine and not recommend for chickens anymore). It seemed to work. There is worm load in both my sick chickens poop and one more, I think. I looked in the coop this morning and only saw worm load in one other poop.

I think the sick chicken is perking up this morning. i am feeding her eggs and vitamins.

All other chickens appear healthy.
Picture

Attachments

• 20231021_111026.jpg
    20231021_111026.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom