Sick chicken treating for worms.

Joychik

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
I have a lethargic chicken that is refusing to eat and has runny stinky poo. I got some safeguard dewormer because another chicken was making squeaky noises and I thought I would treat for all the worms, gapeworm included. I am going to treat the whole flock for 5 days at .25ml per pound given orally. My questions are:
1. Do I stop eating eggs starting on the first day of treatment and then 14 days after day 5 of treatment?
2. How long until my sick one shows improvement if it is worms?
3. Do I need to give a redose after the 5 consecutive days? Or will the 5 days kill all the worm eggs?
Thanks for the help this us my first flock and at this point it might be my last. I am way too attached.

Attachments

• 20240120_122217.jpg
    20240120_122217.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 77
I would give the chicken electrolyte water or water with sugar 1 tsp per cup, and dip its beak if needed. How old is she, and does she lay eggs? Do you have any poop pictures? Yes, egg withdrawal time is day one and then until 14 days after the end of dosing. Only a small amount of medication may be found in eggs. Some people ignore that and still eat the eggs. But don’t sell or give them away. Only the 5 day treatment is needed.

Thank you! She is 6 months old and not laying yet. I'm not so sure it is worms. I have not seen any yet. Her poop is watery and black and smells terrible, like when a dog has parvo. So I'm thinking it is blood or something. I bought different feed and now I'm wondering if that made her sick and she got a bacteria in her gut. I gave her some oregano in her water and I have rooster booster in the water. She is drinking now, but still very little eating. I also rubbed oregano and olive oil on her feet. I made her some scrambled eggs with oregano too. She ate a tiny bit. I have her in the basement and I am limiting the light so she doesn't start laying eggs. She has been enjoying the space heater, and is very snuggly towards me, which is totally out of character because she is my spicy one. The crumble piece in the picture is not her poo, just the water the white and the greenish black stuff. It was a very small poop, like what a chick would do.
20240120_091254.jpg

I just went to check on her and she tried to peck my teeth out so maybe she is on the mend!!! Here is her most recent poop. It looks and smells a lot better.
20240121_124308.jpg

Do you have any Corid to start treating her for possible coccidiosis. Without a fecal float done on some of her droppings by a vet, it is hard to know exactly what has made her sick. Keep offering fluids. If you start Corid, dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Do not give vitamins during Corid treatment.

I just offered her some spaghetti noodles and she is eating!!!! Oregano oil on the feet seems to be a huge help.

Just saw your last post. That is good. Keep offering fluids and watery chicken feed and egg. Let us know how she gets along.
Thank you so much for your reply and thoughts I appreciate your help. Not many people care about chickens as pets so there is not a lot of help out there. They are expendable to most people, but not toe. I didn't know I would love them so much.

She seems to be doing a bit better each day. She is eating a tad more and her poops are getting bigger and more solid. I still have her inside but I have been taking her outside in the day when the temperature is not too cold and letting her scratch for treats with her coopmates.

Back
Top Bottom