Need help identifying and treating worms in sick chicken!

Yes that is a roundworm. I would either get Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid Goat Wormer and treat them all individually. Shake the bottle well. Valbazen is easiest and dosage is 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1.5 ml for. 5 pound chicken given once and in 10 days for only roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for most all chicken worms.

I also would recommend the Valbazen or the Safeguard. They are very effective, I treat for roundworm regularly and use both of those.

Yes that is a roundworm. I would either get Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid Goat Wormer and treat them all individually. Shake the bottle well. Valbazen is easiest and dosage is 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 1.5 ml for. 5 pound chicken given once and in 10 days for only roundworms. Give it for 5 consecutive days for most all chicken worms.
Hi! I treated a chicken with SafeGuard equine paste for 5 consecutive days ( .75ml for 3lbs) as a precautionary, I didn't see evidence of worms. After approx 7 days from the first treatment I see what could be roundworm in her stool or maybe something she ate.

Does roundworm specifically require a second 10-day-later dose and if so, should I dose again just one time at the 10 day mark or will the 5 day course I already gave her take care of any roundworms? If yet another dose is required, would that be 10 days after the very first dose was given or is it the 10th day after the 5th dose was given?

Thanks!

Attachments

• worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We have a sick chicken (our sweet Olive Egger) that stopped laying eggs a few days ago and I noticed she wasn’t eating or drinking much.

I also saw a few small thin worms in her poop.

I started her on safeguard yesterday. She gets 1ml per day.

She is doing on day two and pooped a bunch more worms today. They were still alive.

She still isn’t eating or drinking much.

Can you help me identify the worms? and will safeguard work? How long till we see improvement?

No other chickens are sick. They all free range in a portion of our yard.

Thanks in advance!!!
Your report shows heavy growth of a bacteria called Clostridium perfringens.
This is what took her. You can read about it on Wikipedia or search for

Clostridium perfringens in chickens

I would keep on with the wormer. Offer some treats of water chicken feed and some scrambled egg bits. Some chopped frozen beef liver might give her a boost. Can you check in early morning to see if her crop is emptying normally?
I recently discovered my hen (and flock) has roundworms and has been treated for 2 days so far. We are using the safeguard powder for dogs — because I can mix it into some rehydrated freeze dried salmon treat. Each have gotten the dose according to weight. It’s different dosing than the liquid version of course, but most got around 100-150 mg each day. This is the higher end of the dose. Do I do this for 5 days? It says 3-5 days so I’m not sure.
Also as it is roundworm is it necessary to treat again in 10 days?
Is there any other tips u have in regards to cleaning?
This came as a huge shock because I am a daily coop and run cleaner. We have sand in the run. But backyard flock. I’m assuming it was picked up in the soil somewhere but I sure hope it doesn’t happen again ☹️

I recently discovered my hen (and flock) has roundworms and has been treated for 2 days so far. We are using the safeguard powder for dogs — because I can mix it into some rehydrated freeze dried salmon treat. Each have gotten the dose according to weight. It’s different dosing than the liquid version of course, but most got around 100-150 mg each day. This is the higher end of the dose. Do I do this for 5 days? It says 3-5 days so I’m not sure.
Also as it is roundworm is it necessary to treat again in 10 days?
Is there any other tips u have in regards to cleaning?
This came as a huge shock because I am a daily coop and run cleaner. We have sand in the run. But backyard flock. I’m assuming it was picked up in the soil somewhere but I sure hope it doesn’t happen again ☹️
Worm them for 5 days straight. Then you're done.
If their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms. My birds are penned and I have sand in the pens, coops and some nest boxes. I clean out coops in the morning and scoop poop in the pens several times a day. (I'm retired.)
I worm my birds monthly due to our warm/moist, wet environment.
One female large roundworm can lay about 200,000 eggs a day onto and into the soil or sand. Chickens constantly pick/peck the soil and swallow eggs starting the worms lifecycle all over again.
Sand helps keep everything dry and deters insects which can be hosts for other types of poultry worms.
I prefer to worm each bird orally. That way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.

If their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms. My birds are penned and I have sand in the pens, coops and some nest boxes. I clean out coops in the morning and scoop poop in the pens several times a day. (I'm retired.)
One female large roundworm can lay about 200,000 eggs a day onto and into the soil or sand. Chickens constantly pick/peck the soil and swallow eggs starting the worms lifecycle all over again.
Sand helps keep everything dry and deters insects which can be hosts for other types of poultry worms.
I prefer to worm each bird orally. That way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.
Thankyou so much!
Should I replace the bedding in my coop asap or does it matter?
If they got worms from outside the run, are eggs able to be laid from them being infected and pooping in their run sand?

I will be cleaning the coop spring clean regardless just not sure if I should do it immediately after their dosing

Back
Top Bottom