Java Green peafowl questions

RavenWings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Wisconsin
I have been wondering a lot about Java Green peafowl. They're a breed that i'd like to try and get this summer, and I have some questions i'd like to know before looking for some or making any plans to buy some. I know that they're rare, and it's why I want them. Rare, beautiful, and interesting. I already have Blue peafowl, and I want to own Green peafowl as well. Especially because they're worth quite a bit more (IMO). I also love their color overall, straight crests, and their straight tail.

1. Is an insulated medium-sized building enough for them during the winter without heating directly inside the building? (we burn wood in the wood-burning stove during cold months and days)
2. Are they really that much more aggressive than blue peafowl? (Have you ever been attacked by one?)
3. How much are they worth (day-old chick, juvenile, yearling, 3-year old adult ready for mating?) (or how much do you sell them for if you have some?)
4. Are they in high-demand? (would like to know this, because high-demand means that there would be at least a few people who want to buy for my price (a little lower than most breeders)).
5. Do you know anyone who sells them a little bit cheaper than most breeders?
6. How much more expensive are the Indochinese Green peafowl (pavo muticus-imperator) and the Burmese Green Peafowl (pavo muticus-spicifer) than the Java Green Peafowl (pavo muticus-muticus).
7. Out of these 3 varieties, which is the most colorful? The pictures I saw of them were hard to compare.

These are great questions to ask Minx Fox on here. She's done lots of research! Hopefully she'll come along and share her knowledge. :)
I do know they need heat in winter, not just an insulated shed. That's why when I was looking into getting Peas, I went with IB's and not a high % Spalding as I talked to a breeder about that and I don't have a heated barn here in Montana. Not many people raise pure greens...pure are more rare and that's why the price is so high....there are quite a few spaldings though if you want to go that way. That might help with the price, and they may not be as aggressive as I've heard some pure greens get.
Good luck and hope others on here can help you more! :)

Many questions, I try to give you some answers.

1. If a heating is needed I cannot say. I don’t know what low temperature you have in winter. Inside of the barn you should have minimum +5°C. If you have a well isolated barn, a small electric heater 500W with a thermostat will be enough. I had the same at the beginning.

2. This is a difficult question. I would say you will find more aggressive greens that IB’s. I have more tame greens, but I have also aggressive once. In general I recommend that you keep them (1,1) this makes it much easier.

3. I don’t know the prices in US, but when you are looking on the price then you will not get good pure greens.

4. It is up to you what you are ready to pay.

5. You have to search

6. As far as I know, there is no big difference between the species.

7. It is always mentioned that the PMM are the most colorful PMI a little less and the PMS are even more less. But based on all the pictures what I have seen you can for sure not make this difference between PMM and PMI. I have same PMM as you have in US and I have imported PMI from Thailand and when you look on my web side www.pfauenfarm.de you will see there is nearly no difference.

Many regards
Reinhold

These are great questions to ask Minx Fox on here. She's done lots of research! Hopefully she'll come along and share her knowledge.
smile.png

I do know they need heat in winter, not just an insulated shed. That's why when I was looking into getting Peas, I went with IB's and not a high % Spalding as I talked to a breeder about that and I don't have a heated barn here in Montana. Not many people raise pure greens...pure are more rare and that's why the price is so high....there are quite a few spaldings though if you want to go that way. That might help with the price, and they may not be as aggressive as I've heard some pure greens get.
Good luck and hope others on here can help you more!
smile.png
Thank you. I'll send her a note and follow. I think i'll do what Reinhold said and get some type of heater, as long as it won't be a fire hazard (probably not, i'm just always paranoid), and have the house insulated with good windows for air. I am not interested in spaldings at all, and I only want Pavo-muticus-muticus. I just want them to have the natural beautiful Java Green color, completely straight crest, and straight tail. Their blood doesn't have to be 100% pure, just enough to look like a normal Java Green. I don't know how much we'd be willing to pay for Java Greens, because i'm only the son and don't know how much we're able to invest. But i'm thinking $180-225 each for 1.5-2 year old Java Greens would be a good price. And for peachicks $100 each for a 3-week old sounds great for our budget. But as I said before, I really wouldn't know if we'd be able to afford all that this year. We still have to get 2 Emu chicks for $150 and order a ton of chicks. There are some coops that need to be built too.

Many questions, I try to give you some answers.

1. If a heating is needed I cannot say. I don’t know what low temperature you have in winter. Inside of the barn you should have minimum +5°C. If you have a well isolated barn, a small electric heater 500W with a thermostat will be enough. I had the same at the beginning.

2. This is a difficult question. I would say you will find more aggressive greens that IB’s. I have more tame greens, but I have also aggressive once. In general I recommend that you keep them (1,1) this makes it much easier.

3. I don’t know the prices in US, but when you are looking on the price then you will not get good pure greens.

4. It is up to you what you are ready to pay.

5. You have to search

6. As far as I know, there is no big difference between the species.

7. It is always mentioned that the PMM are the most colorful PMI a little less and the PMS are even more less. But based on all the pictures what I have seen you can for sure not make this difference between PMM and PMI. I have same PMM as you have in US and I have imported PMI from Thailand and when you look on my web side www.pfauenfarm.de you will see there is nearly no difference.

Many regards
Reinhold
I have visited your website a few times before and I love it! Your birds really are beautiful. Do you raise any other really rare or unusual birds besides Java Green peafowl? I'm also a huge pheasant fan and vulturine guineafowl fan. Those 3 species of Green peafowl really do look mostly the same, but I agree that muticus-muticus is the most beautiful. Supposedly they also have the best bloodline out of the 3 species in America. I think i'll do what you said and get some type of heater, as long as it won't be a fire hazard (probably not, i'm just always paranoid). 6 years ago my barn that I loved since a child burned down from a woodchuck getting into the wall wiring, but that will definitely never happen again. It's because the building was old and the walls were vulnerable. The new coops we build are of great quality and I always force my dad to add tight security measures against predators and diggers. There is something I have always been wondering about peacocks, why do they always like to make a clicking sound in their throat? Does it mean anything in terms of communication with other peacocks?

Their blood doesn't have to be 100% pure, just enough to look like a normal Java Green.

Any green that isn't 100% pure is a spalding...

I don't know how much we'd be willing to pay for Java Greens, because i'm only the son and don't know how much we're able to invest. But i'm thinking $180-225 each for 1.5-2 year old Java Greens would be a good price. And for peachicks $100 each for a 3-week old sounds great for our budget.

Others will be able to give you a better idea about pricing, but I think you may have to add another zero to get into the pure green price range!
I found these links to be really helpful, thanks. Do you own any mostly-pure Java Green (non-spalding)?

No greens here, only IB and IBBS...
But I do admire them!

Thanks for the info. I found someone who charges a decent price for pure Java Green http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/Classifieds1.html, but it's probably out of the question right now. Someday I guarantee you, I will own and conserve pure Java Greens. Now I have a question about the Spaldings. I see sites that say Emerald Spalding 7/8 muticus, 15/16 muticus, and 31/32 muticus. I'm interested in one that looks almost exactly the same as a Java Green peacock, has a straight tail and crest, taller legs, and mostly has the aggression/temperament of a pure Java Green.

Thanks for the info. I found someone who charges a decent price for pure Java Green http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/Classifieds1.html, but it's probably out of the question right now. Someday I guarantee you, I will own and conserve pure Java Greens. Now I have a question about the Spaldings. I see sites that say Emerald Spalding 7/8 muticus, 15/16 muticus, and 31/32 muticus. I'm interested in one that looks almost exactly the same as a Java Green peacock, has a straight tail and crest, taller legs, and mostly has the aggression/temperament of a pure Java Green.

Keep in mind that high% greens will probably need heat as well. I love the look of the greens as you do and I purchased a 2 yr. old pure Burmese Green from a very reputable breeder several years ago. I chose not to purchase a hen for him because of the heat issue. We are in PA and we get very cold in the winter, we purchased a wired prefabbed shed for Fred so he could have heat, however I do not feel that a whole lot of people in our area would bother to do that. People around here tend to think they know all about Peafowl if they owned 2 India blues 20 years ago. They will also be sure that since their other Peas didn't need heat, these won't either. They also feel $25.00 is too expensive for a bird, if you know what I mean. I couldn't, in good conscience, breed birds that I thought would probably not survive their first real winter. So we breed only 50% spaldings with some other interesting splits. Fred is not at all aggressive, he eats from our hands and has no issues with us entering the pen even during breeding season, he does get a little more worked up over strangers than the blues do. So I would call him more "High-Strung" than aggressive. I chose a Burmese because they have more blue in the plumage and I liked that, we each have our own personal preferences when it comes to color.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom