New chick owner with a concern

jackoj21

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
I have four Rhode Island reds and one of them, I noticed has a black ball of something on its bottom. It's not on the vent, but more so the lowest part if the chick that is closest to ge ground. I thought it was some poo it had ran across and for stuck on, but I tried to wipe with a warm cloth and nothing happened. I tried to pull at it also and the poor thing squirmed like she was in pain. Anyone with a suggestion of what it could be or what to do?

I have four Rhode Island reds and one of them, I noticed has a black ball of something on its bottom. It's not on the vent, but more so the lowest part if the chick that is closest to ge ground. I thought it was some poo it had ran across and for stuck on, but I tried to wipe with a warm cloth and nothing happened. I tried to pull at it also and the poor thing squirmed like she was in pain. Anyone with a suggestion of what it could be or what to do?

Well first
welcome-byc.gif
great having you here
frow.gif

Sounds like she just hatched and it sounds like you found
the umbilical cord ...

Thanks. After doing some more research and checking out her sisters, I figured that was what it was. Although the other three have the little string like cord (looking very closely), this one has the ball, which is very large considering.

Back
Top Bottom