Pasty Butt - Bloody (?) Vent?

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all,
I got a mix of chicks from a local hatchery (Australorps, Silver Sebrights, Golden Sebrights) on Tuesday. Checking my little flock this morning I noticed a Golden had what appeared to be pasty butt, so I checked a bunch of resources on this site and "My Pet Chicken" on how to treat.
I got my warm bowl of water, qtip, and paper towel. Held the Golden with the towel against the stuck poo. Tried to gently pull. Repeated, which the chick DID NOT appreciate. After the third time, it appeared to release a little, however, it also appeared to be more red at the base of the poo. I soaked the chick's bottom in warm water to try to soften the poo some more, but it is still stuck.
I released it back into the brooder with the other six chicks and it started acting erratically, I assume from not being used to having a wet bottom. It would run, grab its tail feathers, pull, fall, flail, repeat. It stopped for a moment and was able to produce a watery poo, but then started the running, grabbing, and falling again.
Should I separate it from its flock? Its loudly chirping, unusual for the flock, and was attracting the rest with its antics.
I only have one brooder plate, so I am unsure how to go forward. Please advise.

- How it was acting

Attachments

• PXL_20240223_182546442[1].jpg
    PXL_20240223_182546442[1].jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 36
Update-
After checking on it again and seeing others pecking at the vent, I brought it inside by itself. I am holding it to keep it warmer than the 68 degrees F it is this morning. Should I put neosporin on its vent? So worried.

It looks like the chick was constipated and has a small prolapse. I would cut the dried poop off the fluff very carefully. Keep the bottom clean and apply some vaseline or oil to the vent with a QTip or finger. If you could give the chick some coconut oil to peck, that may lubricate the bowels. How warm is the brooder? Too much heat can cause constipation. Pasty butt can keep happening for over a week, so check daily. Dip the chicks’s beak into water often to make sure that it is not dehydrated.

Update- its not clear if they are leaving the newly dubbed Nugget alone, as the prolapsed vent is really not pretty to look at. The area appears that it has been pecked some more and is ringed with blood and is no longer green from the dye I used.

Right now I have Nugget in the box they were sent in from the hatchery with one of the friendlier and bigger Australorp chicks to keep them company.

Is there any advice on dealing with vent wounds? Should I just keep them close but separate? I am unsure how I am going about it yet, but I worst case I can pick up another brooder plate/heating pad and bring the little one in to monitor better. Is is best to keep them alone? They really scream when they don't see the others, even when they are just facing the wrong direction 😓

It looks like the chick was constipated and has a small prolapse. I would cut the dried poop off the fluff very carefully. Keep the bottom clean and apply some vaseline or oil to the vent with a QTip or finger. If you could give the chick some coconut oil to peck, that may lubricate the bowels. How warm is the brooder? Too much heat can cause constipation. Pasty butt can keep happening for over a week, so check daily. Dip the chicks’s beak into water often to make sure that it is not dehydrated.
I haven't got a thermometer yet (I know... shame...), so I am not sure. I have the plate tilted so they can choose to go deeper if they are chilled or at the opening to just get a light radiant warmth. Nugget would usually chill near the mesh side about halfway back, so plenty of airflow but medium amount of heat. Days here are 72 degrees, so likely around 80-90 under the warming plate.

I have Nugget by themselves, but it looks like the prolapse is much larger than it was before. I have cleaned it with Banixx spray and applied Aquafor to keep it moist. When I applied the Aquafor, I tried gently pushing the prolapse toward their body, but it is still very much out. They did not appreciate the pressure of me trying either. I have seen them take large, healthy poos in their confinement box.

Thoughts? My tentative plan is to keep Nugget isolated inside and treat the area with the cleaning spray and Aquafor. The local farm store suggested Farnam Blue Lotion to clean the area and turn it blue to help with pecking, but I am worried that since its alcohol, it will hurt like hell for the little chick. It also says not to use on mucous membranes, which with this bad of a prolapse I worry that it would severely damage their bits.

Is she eating and drinking? I use BluKote spray to help prevent pecking. The blue lotion is probably similar. Yes it has alcohol, and the purple blue gentian violet which acts to hide red wounds to prevent pecking, but also is anti fungal and antibacterial. I usually have raised chickens with a heat lamp, which can allow you to separate in a separate little box or use netting to separate from others. I also have used heat plates, and if the vent is coated with BluKote, it should be able to go back with the others.,

Back
Top Bottom