Peeeeaaaas!

Amykins

Crowing
10 Years
May 11, 2013
So today shall be known as "First Pea" for Wobbles. Got some frozen peas at the store, she's old enough to have a little grit to help digest so I gave her some peas and finely shredded butter lettuce, a gift from my lovely neighbors' garden!

Only now I have a slight problem. It's been an hour and she's still running back and forth along the brooder peeping for more! Does this behavior ever stop? Is there a way to gently dissuade her from doing this? Or is it just one of the many, many quirks I gotta get used to with house-duck ownership?

No different then a dog begging for treats, if you don't give in they will eventually learn it's not getting them anywhere and move on with shorter and less frequent 'begging' episodes...

Hehe I think it's compounded by the fact that she just now entered into her "curious" phase. Once she discovers something new she'll repeat it again and again and again endlessly! She figured out how to flip her little bed, so she has been doing it nonstop since this morning. It's food, water, bed flip, rinse repeat! 'Cept now it's just peas peas peas peas peas.
gig.gif

Okay. Gave her a bath to help her expel all her energy. She's finally asleep...three hours later. She never stays up for three hours straight! What have I done? I've created a monster!

New problem: I gave her some peas to reward her after giving her medicine, and now she is literally throwing herself against the wall of the brooder! She smushes her face up against the plastic on the side I'm sitting on trying to get out to and rams the sides so she can...get more peas, I guess? Does she think she's the Koolaid Man?

I don't want her to hurt herself! How can I get her to stop fixating on this?

Back
Top Bottom