Runner duck acting "off." Could she be coming back into lay?

K2goatsandducks

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi there!

One of my runners has been acting a little unusual at times.

3 nights ago she was already in the house on a nest when I was herding in the rest of the flock. Normally she'd be out and about causing a ruckus with them. I was able to go in and pick her up which she normally never allows.

2 nights ago she was standing off by herself when I went to herd everyone in, and she walked in fairly slowly and again, I was able to catch her and pick her up.

Yesterday she was her wild self.

This evening she was laying by herself in the garden while the others were out foraging. I made her a fresh pool and gave her some snacks, and she took some bites and drank, but was definitely low energy. She did some foraging in the mud with her sisters, and I noticed that she has a slight limp on one leg. It doesn't seem to be significant, however, so I can't imagine it's causing all the "off" behavior.

I think she is coming back into lay from the winter, and I'm wondering if that can cause some unusual behavior. She is quite energetic in the mornings; she flaps and jumps, and rushes out of the run with the flock, and during the day she free-ranges with everyone all over the place. The strange behavior seems to come on in the afternoons/evenings.

I have seen her poop, so she's not egg-bound, and someone started laying again within the last day or so, so I wonder if it's her.
Her breathing is normal, and she seems perfectly fine other than seeming a bit tired and sluggish.

Is it possible that this could be laying related? I'm just trying to determine what level my concern should be at.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have a runner who just this afternoon I am concerned about. She's usually the fastest of my flock, but she was last out of the coop, kind of puffed up and breathing heavy, not interested in foraging. I was also wondering if it's just because she's starting to lay again as my birds are just getting back into it. I hope so!

I pulled out my calcium gluconate and it's expired and looking nasty. The two feed shops near me don't carry it, ugh. Hopefully my girl isn't egg-bound. She's a rescue and has never been inside a house, so I'm worried the stress of soaking in a tub might be worse than just letting her be.

I pulled out my calcium gluconate and it's expired and looking nasty. The two feed shops near me don't carry it, ugh. Hopefully my girl isn't egg-bound. She's a rescue and has never been inside a house, so I'm worried the stress of soaking in a tub might be worse than just letting her be.
I hope your girl is okay!!

Mine was running amuck today like her normal self.

Actually, when I went back out before bedtime she was back with the other girls acting completely normal. There was no egg, so I don't have any idea what it was all about! But thankful. I'm glad your girl is good too!

Back
Top Bottom