Mama hen with pale comb????

cochinfan05

Songster
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
LaFargeville NY

"Angel" my 2 yr old standard cochin hatched her 2 silkie chicks just 5 days ago. Today was the first time she really had them out and I noticed her comb seems very pale/yellow. Now, she was broody for about 2 weeks until I gave her the eggs to hatch so she sat on the nest for a total of 5 weeks. She also seldom left the nest. She even pooped on her eggs a couple times, but she always had food and water available. She also seems a little lethargic but it maybe that she's just taking it slow for the babies. My other 2 hens that hatched clutches this year are dark in color but there combs never looked this pale before. Am I being a worry wort? Thanks so much for any advice in advance:)

Pale combs are very common after a hen has sat on the nest for three weeks. She lost weight and is not super healthy. Plus she isn't laying while she has chicks. Once she fattens up, starts laying again and returns to normal health, her comb should be red again.

A pale comb can also indicate lice/mites...check her under the wings and around the vent area for any signs of external parasites.

Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease!! That's what I suspected but I just wasn't sure due to the fact the others never seemed to have pale combs. Also I felt kind of guilty because due to her attitude problem I didn't check on her as often as the other 2.

Back
Top Bottom