Introducing 30+ chicks to flock off 14

Chickalita

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2024
Our biggest worry:
We have a run and coop more than large enough for our small 14 chicken flock. But it’s coming time for our chicks to join them. There are roughly 30-35 chicks all 10-12 weeks old. We’re looking for the best tips on integrating them in as safely as possible. They are currently in a run about 15-20 yards away from our main run+coop and have been noticeable to our flock for over a month. The flock doesn’t do much but pass by at this point. We are thinking of expanding our main run and possibly adding the chicks in with a divider and a little door large enough for just the chicks to enter and reach their food and free range with the flock after about 2-3 weeks of being directly in the flocks run area. Is this a good idea and is there anything else we should keep in mind? The count of our main flock is 3 roosters and 11 hens. The count of our chicks we are 90% sure is around 5-6 roos and the rest pullets.

That sounds like a good idea, more room is better than less when it comes to chickens especially when integrating new birds so I would absolutely expand the run before introducing them

We have a run and coop more than large enough for our small 14 chicken flock. But it’s coming time for our chicks to join them. There are roughly 30-35 chicks all 10-12 weeks old.
Probably not big enough for adding 30 more birds then.

We’re looking for the best tips on integrating them in as safely as possible.
Build a bigger coop and run.

There have been several threads on here where someone has a problem and mention that they have "plenty" of room. When they finally give actual dimensions it turns out that the problem is lack of sufficient room. I may not be quite as cynical as Aart :oops: (That means it is meant as a joke) I don't trust statements like "more than large enough".

There is another important side to this. If we know what your facilities look like and how big they are we can give suggestions based on what you actually have to work with. We can give generic responses but those are often not nearly as helpful as we could be if we knew what you are working with. It might save us a lot of needless typing too.

One of my concerns with integration is what happens during the day. Another concern is where do they sleep. Coop information could be very important.

We are thinking of expanding our main run and possibly adding the chicks in with a divider and a little door large enough for just the chicks to enter and reach their food and free range with the flock after about 2-3 weeks of being directly in the flocks run area.
That could be a good solution. Where do they sleep at night?

Back
Top Bottom