So impatient! Only one hen laying...

SusanPC

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Southwest Florida
About three weeks ago, two of my four 19-week old pullets started squatting. I was so excited! One week later, my Easter Egger started laying a small green egg every other day. Now at 22-weeks, she is laying the small green egg every day, but the other chickens are still not laying. Eventually, the other two began squatting and I've been getting the egg song from the Easter Egger and from a few of the other chickens too (they are a BPR, BO & SLW). Still, only 1 green egg every day. The others will lay brown eggs, so I know it's not them. It seems like their behavior is consistent with entering the laying "window", but still nothing. Is 22-weeks still too early to expect eggs from all of them? Also, we have terribly high heat (100's) here, so although I've been providing water pans, ice and fans, could this delay their egg laying? Thanks for any reassurance.

Here's my cute little green egg I get every day pictured in a box with store-bought brown eggs.

It could be a combination of things, but the foremost is.....patience! I know, I know...easy for me to say!! But like you my 4 BAs are right on the verge, too, and I haven't even gotten my first one yet! This awful heat could be part of the prob, too.

It's hard to be patient I know to well. I have one laying she is a white leghorn. I have an EE, RIR and a SLW all doing the song and the squatting all the signs of ready to lay but it's been over a week with nothing. It is driving me crazy. I really love seeing eggs in the nesting box but would love to see more than one. Hopefully we will be getting more soon. Post when your other girls start laying. Patience is not me at all. I check every hour. My husband says they won't lay under so much pressure :D

Angel

WooHoo - I'm up to two laying hens out of four! Today, I went home for lunch and checked the nest boxes and there was Trixie's beautiful green egg in the center box (she's been laying for about 2 weeks) and one light brown egg! The other three girls all lay brown, so now I have to catch somebody poking around the nest boxes to find out who it was! Just thought I'd share the update!

WooHoo - I'm up to two laying hens out of four! Today, I went home for lunch and checked the nest boxes and there was Trixie's beautiful green egg in the center box (she's been laying for about 2 weeks) and one light brown egg! The other three girls all lay brown, so now I have to catch somebody poking around the nest boxes to find out who it was! Just thought I'd share the update!
celebrate.gif

I have 2nd of 6 as of this week, the first started 2 weeks ago, staggered ages......the other 4 are not far off, couple weeks probably.

Back
Top Bottom