Very sick chicken on death bed.

Carmie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Hi all, my chicken has been sick for maybe five days now. On the second I took her to the vet and he said she is quite emaciated and that she likely had a disease. Shes very puffed up and sleeps all the time. A few days ago she was flicking her head. Now the flicking has gone but when she tries to drink or eat it doesn't go down well, she stretches and moves her head/neck violently. There is a lot of loud gurgling also. I have massaged her crop a little and tipped her upside down, the first little while black goo came out but now more watery. I don't know if she is suffering and I just want to help her :( any suggestions would be so very appreciated. Thank you. <3

Hi Kathy, thanks for the reply. He gave her a check over for lice, mites, tried to look in her beak. Felt her wings. Gave me a few options of antibiotics, expensive tests, putting her to sleep. He suggested letting nature take it's course because he didn't think anything would help her now. But he didn't really seem sure what the problem was exactly.

Call him back and tell him you want to tube feed her. Ask him for a size 18 french catheter and 35 or 60 ml syringe. Did he suggest doing a gram stain? That's about $30 and would have told you if she has an infection. Get the tube, syringe and baby bird food from petsmart or petco. I'm available by phone to teach you, but watch these first:

Crop feeding videos

These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

This one uses a tube like I use

-Kathy

Pictures:
From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

LL

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram

More pictures:
My "crop" tubes are those red rubber catheters and I stock all the different sizes so I can tube a chick or a goose when/if I have to.

When I am going to give less than 60cc's, I use a 35cc catheter tip syringe like this one.

-Kathy

You're wonderful, thankyou so very much!!! You're the most help I have received. I'm actually in Australia, where are you located? I will ask the vet straight away. He didn't do one of those tests I will bring it up. Do you think feeding her this way will stop her strange neck movements? Thanks again!!!!

You're wonderful, thankyou so very much!!! You're the most help I have received. I'm actually in Australia, where are you located? I will ask the vet straight away. He didn't do one of those tests I will bring it up. Do you think feeding her this way will stop her strange neck movements? Thanks again!!!!
Is she moving her neck like she has something stuck in it or her crop? If there is something stuck in her neck, inserting the tube should clear it. if it's something in her crop, like an impaction of food, tubing water will help break it up. While you have him on the phone, ask him about worming her for capillary worms with something like fenbendazole. If he suggests ivermectin, say no and nicely say you'd prefer something like fenbendazole.

What does her crop feel like? Hard, full, empty, mushy or like a water balloon?

-Kathy
Gilroy, CA - USA

Back
Top Bottom