Chicken coop

billyjow

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Just wanted to get advice on my coop I just built anything I should add. There is 8 boxes, 3 perches and they free range. Wanting to make sure its good for winter , I have 15 chickens.

Love that you have a large overhang above the nest boxes. I hate my external boxes since I cannot seem to get them to stay dry. (I am building an entire new coop)
Question though... What are the roosts made from?
Chickens sit on their feet to keep them warm in the winter so 2x4's with the 4 side up are what I have seen recommended here many times.
Where are you located? Much snow?
I get a chicken traffic jam when it snows and the first ones to the pop door hit the breaks and refuse to go out. Funny to watch the back ones trying to figure out what the hang up is in the front.

Nice coop and good location. Close to the house means good wind protection.

Love that you have a large overhang above the nest boxes. I hate my external boxes since I cannot seem to get them to stay dry. (I am building an entire new coop)
Question though... What are the roosts made from?
Chickens sit on their feet to keep them warm in the winter so 2x4's with the 4 side up are what I have seen recommended here many times.
Where are you located? Much snow?
I get a chicken traffic jam when it snows and the first ones to the pop door hit the breaks and refuse to go out. Funny to watch the back ones trying to figure out what the hang up is in the front.

Nice coop and good location. Close to the house means good wind protection.
cute! traffic jam, rubberneckers!!

The are on 2 x 1s with the 2 side up they seem to like them there strudy I put a 2x 2 in there today and they didn't touch it yet

K tks I will probably upgrade them to 2 by 4s then I live in wv get a lot of snow and it does get cold by rarely in the negatives

I live in Florida so everything has to be treated but I don't use treated lumber for the roosts. I think that stuff would be rough on their feet for so many hours at a time.

Back
Top Bottom