Anything I should add to coop?

kengboss21

Chirping
Oct 10, 2023
NYC
This is my recently built chicken coop it’s 4’x8’ and about 5 feet of headroom at the taller end. Is there anything I should add to decrease stress and promote healthy chickens? I own 6 chickens but want to cap it out in this coop at around 8-10

Features
Exterior Water Box
2 Exterior Nesting Boxes
PVC Feeder
Hanging feeder (for the little one)
Long roost (right side) with connecting perches and bridges for them to hang out on.

I do let my chickens out daily for about 5 hours so I’m wondering if eventually this will be able to hold 10 chickens given the outdoor time I give them.

Attachments

• 48EF4029-EE1E-42E4-B4C6-C0DB90EF670B.jpeg
    48EF4029-EE1E-42E4-B4C6-C0DB90EF670B.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ECF679A2-567F-484C-8AC6-DCB362F0B1E3.jpeg
    ECF679A2-567F-484C-8AC6-DCB362F0B1E3.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 32
What does it look like from the outside....and what is their outdoor environment??
Plans to keep the water thawed?

I do let my chickens out daily for about 5 hours so I’m wondering if eventually this will be able to hold 10 chickens given the outdoor time I give them.
No, few hours outside does not make up for a crowded coop, I'd keep it at 6.

What does it look like from the outside....and what is their outdoor environment??
Plans to keep the water thawed?

No, few hours outside does not make up for a crowded coop, I'd keep it at 6.
Cool, thanks for the advice

Any reason they aren't allowed to be out during all daylight hours? Is it because you don't have a dedicated run area for them?

Build a run of sufficient size and you can probably bump it to 8 birds. You might need to add another nest box if that happens, though some flocks share nest space readily (mine do NOT).

Maybe another roosting pole - other tan that it is beautiful chicken coop. How many chickens do you have?

Thank you I have 6, I will check it out tomorrow see where I can possibly add more roost space. Thanks
It's about more than just how many roosts you can jam into a coop.

Back
Top Bottom