Sharing my coop build

MMelton67

Chirping
Jul 24, 2023
Southern Indiana
The final product with run. Coop is 8'x8' 6.5' on the front sloping to 5' at the back. The next one might be 6' -> 5'. Door from the side to enter, door out the front with chicken door in the bottom of it. 2 8' roosting bars inside with 1 48" wide x 14" deep colony box. The run is 8' wide x 40' long and covered (loosely at this point) with a 1x1 mesh. The plan is to build 2 more runs parallel to the first. The coop is on wheels and I plan to roll the coop to a new run every 2-4 months and garden in whichever one is open at start of spring. Rinse and Repeat. The overall plan is to add two more coops with 3 runs each on the other side of the field for a total of 48-50 chickens.
1702745646070.jpeg

The run wall panels are ripped 2x4's, a piece of treated for the bottom plate, the rest just regular 2x4. 14guage 2x4 mesh fencing 6' tall. I wasn't sure if I was going to go with 32' or 40 feet and wanted the ability to take it apart and move it if necessary. The roofing is a pretty lightweight corrugated galvanized roofing.
1702746353218.jpeg
1702746394118.jpeg
1702746434089.jpeg

I assume you (or whoever is doing most of the maintenance inside) is short enough that height isn't an issue? I'm short and my back aches at the thought of having to stretch or bow my head.
I'm just shy of 6' and my wife is 5'. We share the responsibilities based on appropriate size factors. lol. I do the high stuff, she does the low stuff. :D

Looks nice! But I don't see any ventilation in the coop...?
Thank you! The high side of the coop faces almost due south. As I've built it going into winter, I didn't add ventilation ports. I foamed the underside of the roof on the south and west sides leaving the east and north edges of the roof/wall junction open. There is roughly a 1'' gap on the east and north sides at the top of the wall for the entire 8' of each wall. The doors on the south and west sides have a small 1/8" or so gap around them and for now, the chicken access door at the base of the south door is open for 15+ hours a day. If that still isn't sufficient come next summer I can easily cut and add grilles at the top of the south and west walls. I am new at this so please do comment if I've erred in my approach.

*edit* to add that prevailing winds, even during storms, are from the west-southwest.

The overall plan is to add two more coops with 3 runs each on the other side of the field for a total of 48-50 chickens.
What's your timeline for these additions?
Is your goal lots of eggs or....?
Wondering if you'll stagger the additions to have eggs each winter with fresh layers

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1702771365408.png

There is roughly a 1'' gap on the east and north sides at the top of the wall for the entire 8' of each wall. The doors on the south and west sides have a small 1/8" or so gap around them and for now, the chicken access door at the base of the south door is open for 15+ hours a day. If that still isn't sufficient come next summer I can easily cut and add grilles at the top of the south and west walls. I am new at this so please do comment if I've erred in my approach.
When you're talking about ventilation for chickens, think in terms of square feet, not square inches. The usual rule of thumb is 1 square foot, per chicken. Open 24/7/365. "Open" means covered with hardware cloth, to keep out predators.

Ideally, the ventilation should be above the chickens' heads when they're on the roost. So think high openings, to vent out ammonia from their poop. Also, in the winter, if you have cold temps, you want the moisture from their breath to vent out as well. Moisture and cold is what leads to frostbite on combs, wattles, and toes.

Your climate makes a difference, too. What works for me in Michigan might not work for you.

Back
Top Bottom