Amaraucana owners, i need your experience

What is your best guess on the sex of this one?

• Cockerel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pullet

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

RumAndCoconuts

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Great Exuma, Bahamas
Hi all,
I live on a small island and the only chickens anyone has here are barnyard mutts. That's all I've ever had. Now a while ago we had neighbours come and visit and when they left they gave us their leftover food. Including 3 eggs. I recognised them as Easter Eggers and as i had just had a hen go broody i thought i had nothing to lose by tucking the eggs under her.
Remarkably enough, after the eggs traveling down here by plane, sitting in the fridge for at least 3 weeks and not once being turned.. one of the crazy things hatched.
I was only told that the people who have the chickens have amaraucanas and I know nothing about these birds.

This little one we named Jet on hatch because it was just soooo much blacker than any of the other black chicks that hatched out. He's also got feathered legs and feet.
It is four weeks old now and I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if it is a pullet or a cockerel.
There were nine chicks hatched out of this brood and several of them exhibit cock type sparring/fighting but this one rarely takes part in that which has given me some hope it's a pullet. Is it too early to tell?
Here is a photo taken this morning.

A little young, but guessing pullet. He/she looks so much like a Marans I think she could be a Marans mix, maybe Olive Egger (Marans x Ameraucana). She probably doesn't carry the blue egg gene as she has a single comb, and she doesn't seem to have a muff either.

I should have thought to mention the egg it hatched from was a deep pinky brown colour. A good size too. Probably about 65g.
I guess it likely is a mutt still, but at least it's a different sort of mutt!
Any other opinions I would love to hear them..
Thanks all

Do you know what country the eggs came from?

If the egg was "pinky brown", then it's not likely to have any EE or Ameraucana there. Hard to tell from the pic, but there seems to be a lot of leg feathering, which makes me think cochin. But that tail's too high to be a cochin, so maybe something like Marans? Maybe post again in a month or so.

If it came from a large pinky brown egg as you say and not a blue/green one, I am almost positive it is a black or Black Copper Marans. It bears no resemblance to Easter Eggers in build, bearding, leg feathering, comb, and even colour...

I have a delightful ee that lays a brown egg. Her sisters from the same batch lay green and blue. Interestingly, though they have the pea comb whereas I believe her wider, flatter comb is more rose like. But I have to agree that pullet looks like an olive egger:)

Back
Top Bottom