I have ANOTHER androgenous chickenšŸ˜…

What sex is this chicken?

• Total voters
I do think that Ameraucanas and EE are more hawk looking and have more questionable feathers while growing in and do seem to have a more upright stance. Most of mine have anyway! But I have always had more comb development In roosters at an earlier age that I could identify as male. So thatā€™s why I say she a pullet! But this is very interesting

The thin/frayed feathers look that way because they are new feathers growing in. I've never seen a female chicken have such strange-looking feathers, but can't currently prove anything one way or another, and see that so far, thoughts are still unanimous for pullet. I will keep taking pictures, but won't try to convince anyone for a while. Unless she begins to lay, and then I will be convinced, and will confirm the pullet voters were correct!
Ohhhh okay but still. And yeah good idea

I will go with looks,100% female to me.....but I am new to the chicken thing so my opinion is not worth much.
I even have a young chicken that is questionable to me. In person I lean towards "it's a girl" but when I look at photos I see a cockerel.

I do think that Ameraucanas and EE are more hawk looking and have more questionable feathers while growing in and do seem to have a more upright stance. Most of mine have anyway! But I have always had more comb development In roosters at an earlier age that I could identify as male. So thatā€™s why I say she a pullet! But this is very interesting
My EE cockerels mature early, and I've almost always been able to tell by 5 weeks of age, often earlier. At that age, there was no question in my mind that Sonnet was a pullet. But at age 15 weeks, Sonnet's overall appearance and posture, despite obvious pullet traits, had me perplexed. I then researched and read that purebred Ameraucana cockerels are generally late maturing. And so at age 16 weeks, I sheepishly admit that I concluded that Sonnet must be a late-maturing cockerel, and that I had made a mistake. I literally had the thought to put her in a separate pen with the cockerels, until realizing that due to a lack of cockerel behaviors, she couldn't be. I can't wrap my mind around the fact she is fully female, especially with male-like feathers now growing in, but quite a lot of very experienced people have said they think she is. So I will let the issue go for now and see what transpires. I truly would much rather her lay pretty eggs that I can hatch future chicks from, than see her have future difficulties from roosters that potentially view her masculine appearance as a threat. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom