Interesting feathering

Chcknlvr123

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
I have an almost 4 week old mystery chick that hatched from a reddish brown egg with beautiful speckles. Initially I was thinking welsummer. He/she had a rough hatch, pipped early then over 24 hours later I realized there was a problem with the humidity because I saw bubbles, which interestingly enough the other 6 in the hatch had no problems, so I ended up assisting and ran into all kinds of troubles. I don’t usually assist in hatches, but I felt like his/her life was on the line if I didn’t. He/she was incredibly tiny and still had some unabsorbed yolk left. I wasn’t able to separate from the rest so she ran around the incubator with the unabsorbed yolk. It’s a fighter for sure!!
Now 4 weeks later I’m still mystified as to what breed he/she is and what sex. I do know that slow feathering can be an indication of a roo, but I wonder if the slow feathering could also be because of the problems with the hatch(small size and premature appearing)
As of now her comb appears to look like a pullet, but her lack of feathers on her backside has me wondering. And the fluting of the feathers also has me stumped.
Has anyone seen this kind of feathering before or had experience with premature chicks?

Here’s pictures of the chick in question.

Attachments

• IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    877.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6211.jpeg
    IMG_6211.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom