Why doesn’t my rooster have any rooster feathers?

He will also sometimes do the egg song, like if he gets a really high place and is feeling it, he’ll start singing it.

No eggs, i don’t think it’s a hen. Hens don’t have this comb. I’m assuming he’s just taking awhile, so i won’t really press too hard about it until he’s about a year old.

Hmm. I definitely agree with this statement:

He is a mystery

Here was the roo when i rehomed him :3

Attachments

• IMG_5042.jpeg
    IMG_5042.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5047.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5060.jpeg
    IMG_5060.jpeg
    655.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 22
I see some incoming saddle feathers. It looks male to me. Maybe just a slow developer. I have one like that. He never crows at all - and my husband swore he was a hen for 10 months. Then, in November, the bird got injured. I had to bring him in the house to give him a bath. It was late - and cold - and I didn't want to stick him back outside to freeze while wet.

The next morning, he woke me up crowing in the pen.

However, he hasn't crowed since - and never mounts a hen. And doesn't look like my other rooster, but he is definitely a male.

Of course, I don't have D'uccles. Are these female feathers on that kind of bird?

View attachment 3776440
Not female feathers! Haha

I can add to the mystery. I have a Porcelain D’uccle hen (for sure a hen, I’ve seen her lay many eggs) that has a big red comb and I’ve even caught her crowing. My flock has a rooster that she loves and she is his favorite, so she didn’t crow as a dominant hen thing. I think your mystery rooster’s feathering is very similar to my hen’s. I’ve had Porcelain D’uccle roosters too and the feathering on them was very different than yours.

Attachments

• IMG_1979.jpeg
    IMG_1979.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 15
I can add to the mystery. I have a Porcelain D’uccle hen (for sure a hen, I’ve seen her lay many eggs) that has a big red comb and I’ve even caught her crowing. My flock has a rooster that she loves and she is his favorite, so she didn’t crow as a dominant hen thing. I think your mystery rooster’s feathering is very similar to my hen’s. I’ve had Porcelain D’uccle roosters too and the feathering on them was very different than yours.

Hello! So about 8 months ago i bought 2 porcelain d’uccle chicks. They both turned out to be roosters, lol, and i rehomed one. This one, i thought was a hen for the longest time until he started crowing. He only crows once a week or so, but he has the big red comb to prove it’s a boy. I’m thinking since his crows are very quiet (i can barely hear it 20 feet away) I can keep him for a little while longer.

I’m wondering why he doesn’t have any rooster feathers. No saddle feathers and no hackle feathers. My last rooster had these already by the time i rehomed him, and he was only about 2 months old. I know some roosters come in slowly, but it’s been awhile and he hasn’t grown ANYTHING. He still has the rounded feathers with white circles at the end. He has maybe 5 or 6 sharp neck feathers but they don’t have the coloring or the thinness of my other rooster.

images included below.
Screenshot_20240410_215633_Instagram.jpg

You can see my little gentleman in the middle of the bachelor roost.

Back
Top Bottom