ANY ideas? Porcelain D’uccles

Hello everyone! 8 weeks now! This is them

IMG_4578.jpeg

IMG_4583.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

Hello everyone. they are 91 days today. just wondering if she is still a hen, since her comb is reddish pink now

IMG_4977.jpeg

IMG_4966.jpeg

IMG_4982.jpeg

Hello everyone. they are 91 days today. just wondering if she is still a hen, since her comb is reddish pink now
That is an awkward age to try and tell.

Most males have a comb that gets big and red at an earlier age. But some slow-maturing males will start to be noticeable at that time.

Most pullets have a comb that stays small and pale until they are older than that. But some fast-maturing pullets will be starting to get larger combs, as they get closer to laying age.

Does the chicken live inside your house, or outdoors? Do you have any idea how much light it is getting each day? That might help figure out whether the bird is a slow-maturing male or a fast-maturing female.

A chicken living outdoors in the fall & winter, as the days get shorter, will typically mature slowly. A chicken living indoors where the lights are on, or a chicken outdoors who receives artificial light, or a chicken growing up in the spring & summer with long days, will tend to mature more quickly.

It usually becomes obvious if you wait long enough (crowing or egg laying), but sometimes that is not convenient. If it is really important to know, you could try DNA sex testing.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/
(You pay online and mail them a few feathers or drops of blood, they test for male vs. female genes and let you know the results.)

That comb does seem a bit large and quite red, I’m really not sure now. I’d give it some more time.
she is completely different from the roo. she is half his size, no saddle or hackle feathers that i can see, and i monitor pin feathers closely. basically a whole different color than the roo, since he is more orange. Roo has crowed and the hen has not even sounded like she tries to crow. she’s very docile compared to him. i can share images when they wake up tomorrow

she is completely different from the roo. she is half his size, no saddle or hackle feathers that i can see, and i monitor pin feathers closely. basically a whole different color than the roo, since he is more orange. Roo has crowed and the hen has not even sounded like she tries to crow. she’s very docile compared to him. i can share images when they wake up tomorrow
I'm almost sure it is a girl, but time will tell. :)

Back
Top Bottom