Help me chose a male for breeding (coturnix)

TerraLinda

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
I have two coturnix males, and I can only keep one.

#1, "Godfather": large, brown, very good looking bright colors, aggressive, does not perform his duties very well (he would peck the female on the head, take a few feathers, and then just fall off, never finishing the business - I saw this many times; all his females get bald eventually), although fertile (one out of four of his eggs hatched), not nice to the females (eats the mealworm)
#2, "Munch": small, golden (a disadvantage: all my girls are golden; I am concerned that breeding golden to golden will reduce the hatching rate), average looking, almost tame, performs his male duties like a clockwork (his girls sit still and let him finish), a gentleman (will jump up 2 ft. to get the mealworm, then offer it to the ladies)
My objective: Like any beginner, I want it all. I am keeping the quails mostly for eggs, but I also want large birds for meat, sustainability (being able to incubate more quails if I need), easy management, and good looks.

Experts, please advice: should I grill #1, #2, or grill both, and buy another male

I have two coturnix males, and I can only keep one.

#1, "Godfather": large, brown, very good looking bright colors, aggressive, does not perform his duties very well (he would peck the female on the head, take a few feathers, and then just fall off, never finishing the business - I saw this many times; all his females get bald eventually), although fertile (one out of four of his eggs hatched), not nice to the females (eats the mealworm)
#2, "Munch": small, golden (a disadvantage: all my girls are golden; I am concerned that breeding golden to golden will reduce the hatching rate), average looking, almost tame, performs his male duties like a clockwork (his girls sit still and let him finish), a gentleman (will jump up 2 ft. to get the mealworm, then offer it to the ladies)
My objective: Like any beginner, I want it all. I am keeping the quails mostly for eggs, but I also want large birds for meat, sustainability (being able to incubate more quails if I need), easy management, and good looks.

Experts, please advice: should I grill #1, #2, or grill both, and buy another male
I cant eat my quails but if you can i would grill #1 and save #2 cuz i rather have small tame and fertile quails then aggressive large quails. And you can always get a large nice male somewhere down the road if you really want big bags or you could only hatch big eggs from Munch

Out of the two Munch is the better male. If Godfather is aggressive AND is not getting all the eggs fertilized he should not be bred, no sense passing those traits to his sons! Godfather would go into my freezer. Use Munch until you can get a better male to breed with.

Ladies and gentlemen, will it be door number 1, or will it be door number 2??? We'll find out, right after these words from our sponsors!

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom