Please help, raccoon bit leghorn in the leg

eggtochicken21

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
I have lost one leghorn to a raccoon and I found out today that the raccoon was IN the chicken coop eating eggs... I guess a leghorn got too close because its leg has a bite on it and was bleeding but the leg is still intact and my hen is still putting some weight on it occasionally. Is there anyone who can offer advice on how to treat the chicken? I have already isolated it and it is eating and it has water. The raccoon has been taken off by animal control and will be tested for rabies, and I will make sure that it can't get in again.
Any suggestions please???

I'm sorry to hear about the attack!

The main concern with bites is infection. Wearing gloves, I would wash the wound with some warm, soapy water and then apply some antibiotic ointment. Make sure the ointment doesn't contain any "caine" or "cain" ingredients, since those are harmful to birds. If possible, I would also isolate your injured hen in a clean place. She'll miss being with her flockmates, but chickens have a habit of pecking at injuries, and it is better is she is kept separate for now.

To help with stress, I would put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in your hen's water. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do. Keep applying antibiotic ointment daily, and watch closely for signs of infection (pus, bad odor, etc.). If she develops an infection, antibiotic treatment would be necessary, or you might consider humanely culling her.

I've got 2 bites on my leg right now from a coon. One's a couple of weeks old and the other recent. They are painful, but not overly dangerous as far as infection. That said, I would wash it and apply antiseptic until it heals. That should also keep flies off. Unless he had symptoms or rabies is common in your area, its probably nothing to worry about. Life is much easier once your fencing and housing is predator proof.

Your bird may get an infection, but not rabies. A mammal (human!) bitten by a raccoon is in the high risk category, due for rabies vaccinations, unless the raccoon is tested negative for rabies. Nothing to mess around about!!! No state in the continental US is free of rabies, and raccoons are a high risk species. When handling an animal with bite wounds like that, wear gloves and be aware of the risk. Slim, but not zero. Mary

Back
Top Bottom