Shaky Legs

Bravo

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
CA
I have a 3 month old brown leghorn pullet that is has terribly shaky legs. She was normal until Sunday morning she started withdrawing from the flock. Upon further inspection, she can walk but her gait is wobbly and her legs tremble while standing.

She's in isolation in a dog crate in the house, eating and drinking normally, alert, and flighty (like I'd expect with a leghorn).

I've added vitamins and electrolytes to her water but in 24 hours of cage rest I've seen no improvement.

Any idea what this could be and how to treat it?

None of her other flock-mates are experiencing this issue.

Is she eating and drinking, and is she active and alert? Avian encephalomyelitis or AE is a virus that can cause tremors in chicks, but this doesn't sound like it. Some nutritional deficiencies and rickets could cause some of the symptoms. I would treat with vitamins, especially vitamin E, thiamine, and selenium. Here are some links to read:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...itis/overview_of_avian_encephalomyelitis.html

I just wanted to update this for anyone else who may run into the same problem.

We separated the pullet from the flock and had her on cage rest for over a month in temperature controlled environment. We provided mild supportive care, extra vitamins and garlic in her water and a fortified grower mash with yogurt and hardboiled egg mixed in.

We gradually would let her out for short periods to range supervised in the yard and slowly the shakiness subsided. Over a period of 2 months it was gone but her gait has definitely been altered. To the untrained eye she appears normal but if you look closely there is a very mild hobble in her gait. Nothing that will prevent her from living a normal life though.

While we still don't know what caused this, it is apparent that with some supportive care, it is possible to recover from.

Back
Top Bottom