Christmas Setting - First Hatch

DaybreakOrps

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Strawberry Plains, TN
I am a first timer getting ready to set eggs late this evening. I ordered 24 Buff Orpingtons from the Mad Hatcher in GA, a cheap chinese incubator and a candling light. I made arrangements with my post office and picked them up this morning at 6 a.m. as they arrived from the transit truck. They were 2 days in the USPS system. I have them sitting large end up on my counter with the intent of letting them sit until later this evening when I fire up the new incubator. What else do I need to do, think about, plan for, etc.

woot.gif
Only 1 egg was broken in shipment, so we will have 23 to set!

Well, if you'd like a hatching buddy, I can join! I can set at least one egg, maybe more if my hens were generous today. Sounds like you have everything under control so far!

YAY!!!! I would love a hatching buddy! I can wait and set mine in the morning so we can see if your hens do any Christmas magic!! I don't think it will hurt to leave my settling until morning.

Sure, if you'd like! I generally recommend letting eggs rest after shipping for 24 hours so if they just arrived today that would give them more time to settle anyway :)

I just got in 14 Silkie eggs so I am going to set them in the morning and come along for the ride with you both! :)

ya.gif
Awesome!!! Maybe we will have a couple more to join us tonight! I will set mine as soon as I get up in the morning, which I am sure will be early since the kiddos will be tearing into presents.

I'll give my girls till about noon or one to see if anybody wants to lay before I set tomorrow :) I'll set some quail eggs too but those will hatch before the chicken eggs do.

I set mine this morning at about 6:30 a.m. We numbered them with a Sharpie and have them at about 37.8 C with 52% humidity. I moved the incubator off the kitchen counter as it was near the dishwasher. I noticed that the humidity was fluctuating with all of the holiday dishes. I now have it on a shelf in the dining room. How many did everyone end up setting?

I set mine this afternoon! Three eggs, two cemani crosses and a gigantic leghorn egg from a hen who lays like crazy and I want more of her genetics in my flock. I I also set four coturnix quail.

Back
Top Bottom