Heritage Rare Black Javas $3 each--test hatching complete w/ good results!

haTHOR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Near Asheville, NC
All shipments have been made. I have eggs available for Wed 4/22 shipment and beyond!

Results from test hatch period: I ran test hatches from late January through March. Average on hatching was 9-10 of 12 shipped eggs.

I raised and bred Black Javas for several years and had to give it up for a move to the big city. (Feel free to search my posts; I had good selling/hatching reputation here but have lost those with the changeover to new classified system). I am back on track with poultry in the country, and have been working with Black Javas again to create a breeding flock.

These birds are from the well known Livestock Breed Conservatory, Garfield Farm museum line

UPDATE after several hatches here: SOME of my chicks are hatching out showing AUBURN. Not surprising since they are almost all Garfield Farm line where the auburn gene was worked back from extinction. These pop up sometimes in BJs. Just know that I have discovered that one of my hens must be heterozygous for auburn and if you breed two auburn carrying chicks together you could start working on your own Auburn flock. Cannot guarantee Auburn chicks but it is a real possibility: I have hatched out four of 28 so far.

Like to read more? Read about this old, awesome breed--the PERFECT homesteading or backyard flock breed, in my opinion--here: 
http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/java

A lovely vignette by a fellow breeder, that tells what its like to raise these birds in natural conditions: http://www.javahillfarm.com/JHF/Java/Entries/2013/4/4_The_Black_Java.html

And here to learn about my work with them:
http://charmed-life-chickens.blogspot.com/2012/01/black-javas-doing-my-part-to-save.html?m=1

In short: Black Javas are known for their broodiness, they make great mothers and fathers, they forage and prefer to do so, lessening your feed bill, and they are calm birds that do fine with confinement (but will make the most of free ranging!)  They fight less with each other than any breed I have raised.  They are a true dual-purpose bird, lots of large eggs, and dress out nicely.  They are consistently named "fine table fowl" for their excellent taste by the Slow Food Ark.

My birds free range on a five acre farm except during times of egg gathering for hatching.  They mostly eat a natural diet foraging and have access to a large compost pile with all kinds of bugs and stuff they dig up.  My males have EXCELLENT demeanor and all my birds have yellow feet.

Eggs have been stored in a 55 degree room and turned twice daily. I generally gather for 5-6 days and send on Monday-Wednesday only. Make sure you can pick up eggs at your PO (or that you'll get them by Friday from me, zip code 28801) if you want me to send on Wednesday!

My birds can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/set=a.732873480144110.1073741828.732823860149072&type=3

Cost: Eggs are $3 each.
Shipping $18 for 12 eggs/$15 for 6 eggs. They will be double boxed and priority shipped. I wrap each egg in bubble wrap and ship them standing upright. I spend money on packing materials and about 20 minutes to pack them perfectly, and that's reflected in my cost.
Paypal fee: I do pass on to you the small fee paypal charges me: $1 per transaction
Grand total per dozen: $55 Grand total per six eggs: $34
Payment: I accept PayPal only for shipped eggs. If you wish to pick up eggs near Asheville NC, I accept PayPal or cash.

Shipping: I am in Asheville, so eggs are coming from zip 28748. I pack carefully with bubble wrap but cannot control what happens to the eggs in the hands of USPS nor the conditions under which you handle or hatch them. If something goes wrong in shipping, take pics, keep the shells, and let me know ASAP--all boxes come with $50 insurance.

Current status: almost done with current test hatch customers. After misfitmorgan's shipment the increased price is in effect ($3; it was $2 during test hatching phase.)

Ship date ~ not before 4/6 (12 SimplyLogan) cannot take eggs before 4/7
Ship date ~ (12 misfitmorgan)

Last edited:
I'm interested in trying your eggs. If you still have some and would send em to Texas. I'm hatching my own eggs with about a 90% hatch rate. I've had more than one batch go 100%. I'd be totally open and tell if I have any issues with my equipment and would also send you and info or pics you want on the progress of the eggs. Just let me know if you still have some eggs.

Great. Will get the schedule together and let you know tomorrow when I think that will be...within a couple weeks it seems. I will likely add a list of ship out dates to original post as there has been a good response!

Back
Top Bottom