A sad death for Gertie

poultry bro

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
Hi everyone I have a problem that may get worse I count my chickens every night so I know this happened in broad day light my 2 year old buff orpington Gertrude was killed just hours ago by some mother ducker and I think it was a bird of prey I have had a hawk problem before but not in 7 years so I think it was the flock of ravens at my place there is about 4 or 5 of them we have had them kill a wounded chicken but not one that was completely healthy orpingtons are one of the five largest chicken breeds in the world how could this happen. Anyway here are the gruesome details almost all of here downy feathers were plucked her neck was picked clean and her bottom jaw was missing then there was one half that was eaten and her intestines were pulled out then the other side was still intact and her eyes were gone but everything else was intact and there was no sign of struggle she was in a shallow pit so I think she was dust bathing and then they took her out but I don't know I put a trap out and used her carcass as bait so if its a ground predator its going to be shot in the morning but if its a raven or a hawk I will be out there tomorrow with a gun waiting to blow its head off.

No sign of a struggle. Sounds like a hawk pounced right on her. Only 100% protection from a hawk is to keep them penned up. I have a large family of crows that have lived here for years. Love having them around. They quickly gang up and run off any hawk that comes around.

So sorry. I do know the pain. Never had a hawk problem until a couple of weeks ago and have had chics for many years. I am keeping the girls penned up and have scarecrows up(that part was fun!) Just be humane whatever your do. I don't have anger at the predators. They're just trying to survive and don't understand an animal belonging to a person.

Ok guys before we talk about sending a 16 year old to jail it was not a bird at all it was a gray fox vixen that my neighbors have had trouble with before she is the only fox I ever heard of that hunts during the day anyway I caught her in my trap an put a bullet in her head as promised and I skinned her so she did not go to waste I don't like killing animals but when a varmint kills my livestock I don't take it likely so she had to go anyway I do live in the USA and I did know the risk of killing a bird of prey but if it threatens our animals its legal to kill it I have never done it but its something I would consider anyway now you know a fox can kill with little trace but she did kill Gertie in an area with a lot of leaves so it is surprising that there was no evidence ok guys thanks for the help anyway and peace out.

Glad you got the fox. I do understand the frustration when something gets your animals, but killing birds of prey isn't as simple as "if it gets my chickens I can shoot it". I would strongly suggest you research the state and federal laws on such things. I'd hate to see you get in trouble for protecting your flock.

I once had a bantam hen that fought a red tailed hawk that pounced on one of her chicks, can remember if the chick made it, probably not. That hen drove the hawk off, the hen even attacked one of my uncles dogs.

The only hawks in my area are red tailed hawks and I know they are protected but our saying up here is shoot, shovel, and shut up so basically don't tell anyone but no I am not a law breaker so unless I go insane the hawks will be flying for years to come but the ravens are gonna get it if they don't shut up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom