No Eggs?

Kleonaptra

Songster
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Western Sydney, Australia
No duck eggs for over a month! I had to buy eggs the other day....
he.gif

Yes, everyone is moulting, but they are just finishing. Usually even through moult the 3 big pekin crosses will keep dropping an egg or two. I have 7 girls and 2 chickens. Ive started picking up the odd one from the australorp, I have no idea where the isa brown is putting hers or if she's even laying. She seems to be just finishing off a mega moult - she's looked ratty for months.

I would regularly get 3 eggs a day from the big girls, they will be three this year. One muscovy who very rarely drops an egg who would be about the same age. Leelu the teeny 2 year old call very rarely lays an egg, her daughter even tinyer is only about 4 months old. Que the pekin cross is also only just a few months.

Yesterday there was a nasty blotchy egg in the shed with a tail. Im thinking its a practise egg by a little girl (they have been mating with their drake from the same clutch) or the big girls getting going again maybe? Either way I started putting in some supplement heavy on the b1 and calcium for a few days. They dont like the taste!

Ive started thinking something is stealing them. We did have rats but I went to war on them and havnt seen a rat for ages. Im plugging up every tiny hole in the shed I can find....Rats would be leaving some kind of evidence. So maybe snake or lizard? If its snake, Im amazed no one has been killed. Every night they start quaking about something and I go check but I cant see anything. Thats still like 8 eggs a day, doesnt he ever get full?

The muscovy was sitting on 8 eggs. Then 6. Then 3. Then 1 that she gaurded ferociously. Now its gone too. The nasty egg with a tail? I left it there and it disappeared too. What can I do?

you could have a case that i would like to call small rodent problem ( i wouldnt go with snake though if rats cant get in the shouldnt either.) do you have any kind of birds like ravens crows or any medium size bird l(ike smaller than a hawk but bigger than a finch.) that is known for bad behavior?

we had thrashers and mocking birds eat eggs from a nest then fly away with they egg shell. and crows are the worst that literally push the mom off a nest and just go for all the eggs.

Yes I do have crows I share eggs with them and they keep the hawks and other raptors away. They aren't getting any either there are just no eggs every morning. I haven't checked under the nesting area that's where the rats were hiding last time. I thought I bricked it up.

My problem with an egg thief is, if it's a rat surely there would be some evidence. There are at least 7 eggs going missing and there's not even a broken shell. That's why I was thinking snake, but he'd have to be very hungry.

My problem with an egg thief is, if it's a rat surely there would be some evidence. There are at least 7 eggs going missing and there's not even a broken shell. That's why I was thinking snake, but he'd have to be very hungry.

Have you done the steak out. Stay up and watch for the perp. Or used eggs as bait in a cage trap... might be a raccoon... they will snatch eggs and not kill the duck.

Hi, I've started going out at weird times and going in with a torch and checking all the corners. Tonight Wist and Leelu were sitting together, wouldn't want to lose those eggs! I'm hoping to surprise 'it'. Luckily I don't have to worry about racoons but it could be a nasty reptile.

Hi, I've started going out at weird times and going in with a torch and checking all the corners. Tonight Wist and Leelu were sitting together, wouldn't want to lose those eggs! I'm hoping to surprise 'it'. Luckily I don't have to worry about racoons but it could be a nasty reptile.

Reptiles...no raccoon... oh wait (checks profile) you live in Australia. My bad! Could be a reptile. I don't think one snake can eat that much and the fact that the ducks are still alive. 3 eggs and it probably would be set for the week. It would explain why there's no evidence. See any tracks around the nest area that don't look like ducks? Container trap?

Yep that's what I'm thinking, no reptile is this hungry. No tracks but a concrete block I keep putting over a hole keeps getting moved. It's big and heavy a rat would have a tough time. They can't be laying at the usual rate.

Back
Top Bottom