Sick fantail

jack1mikey2

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Harbeson,DE
I have a fantail pigeon and lately he has seemed less spunky as the others and just sitting in the corner. Should I be worried something wrong or is it normal behavoir? I'm new to the fantail but have had homers

Thank you-Alex Neiss

First are you sure its not nesting? sorry had to ask that.. possibly being bullied? Not getting enough to eat?
is it ruffled, legs n feet emaciated, any change in droppings, sneezing, feeling keel bone more n more, anything different with eyes or neck?

I've seen her eat and I seen her sneeze once and she's not nesting cause she's in and out the pen I never seen her dropping and I have her with 3 other bird 2 hens and a cock

It could be getting ready to nest... finding a corner and squatting down.. usually making a cooing noise to get the attention of another pigeon.

If its just sitting there fluffed up and not moving it is sick.

... but you say it going In and out of the coop and eating OK.. so does not sound like its sick.

You could catch it and have a close look at it.. feel if its underweight.. or see if its got staining on its bottom feathers. Also have a listen to see if its breathing is sounding normal. Chick if it has mites on the feathers too.

Check its not got injured feet or toes too. Can it still fly OK?

Watch it a while and see if the other birds are bullying it into the corner. Have they got enough perches and nesting places?

If you catch it up and put in in a cage lined with paper on the bottom (with some food and water).. then you can go back to have a look after a few hours to see what its poops are like too. Then you can let It back out it they seem normal.

Back
Top Bottom