Breed? Sex?

New Homesteader

Chirping
Mar 27, 2015
Here are my 5 week old babies from TSC. I appreciate any input. This is all new to me.

The goldish colored ones might be Buff Orpingtons, since they do have white/pink legs.
The brown/red ones look like hatchery Rhode Island Reds / Production Reds.
The white birds could be White Leghorns, are a little heavy looking for those though, so maybe White Plymouth Rocks.

At five weeks would vote the first buff one is a cockerel ... None of the others scream cockerel right now but I'd also be keeping an eye on the second buff, and the red on the right and the white on the left in the last picture.

And Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

The goldish colored ones might be Buff Orpingtons, since they do have white/pink legs.
The brown/red ones look like hatchery Rhode Island Reds / Production Reds.
The white birds could be White Leghorns, are a little heavy looking for those though, so maybe White Plymouth Rocks.

At five weeks would vote the first buff one is a cockerel ... None of the others scream cockerel right now but I'd also be keeping an eye on the second buff, and the red on the right and the white on the left in the last picture.

And Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC!
Agreed with breeds. And I don't know about gender the first buff SCREAMS cockerel at me for 5 weeks old.

Assuming all of your chicks are in the bottom pic, you have a Buff Orpington, two Production Reds, and two White Rocks.

P.S, The Buff Orpington is likely a cockerel. I don't see anything screaming cockerel in the other four, so I'm leaning toward all pullets on those four at this point.

Here are my 5 week old babies from TSC. I appreciate any input. This is all new to me.
Buff Orpington cockerel.
Buff Orpington, probably a cockerel.
White bird: White Plymouth Rock or Leghorn, pullet. Red birds: Rhode Island Reds, pullet for now.
Same as above.
Both white birds are White Rocks or Leghorns and are probably pullets.

Back
Top Bottom