smell of stain on new wood?

NiceHens

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
Wellington, Colorado
My neighbor immediately in back of me is having someone stain their new wood fence, including the side that faces my back yard - where my six hens are in their house and run. I'm pretty sure the contractor (staining the wood fence) will be doing a spray method, which means the odor (and possibly chemicals?) will be floating in my back yard.

The hens' house is about 15 feet from this back fence. Assuming I keep the hens in their house and run that day (not allowed to roam) and probably also drape their house and run on the side that faces the wood fence (like with a very large drop cloth), is there anything else I should be aware of?

I won't let the hens out to roam again until the next day, but then the stain will likely be at the bottom edge of the fence, where the hens sometimes forage.

Seems like these hens generally know to not eat something they shouldn't - like a small piece of tin - so will they also know to not forage in the area immediately next to the fence, at least for a couple of weeks? Do they have a pretty good sense of smell and will steer clear?

Any advice or experience greatly appreciated.

NiceHens/Erika

My neighbor immediately in back of me is having someone stain their new wood fence, including the side that faces my back yard - where my six hens are in their house and run. I'm pretty sure the contractor (staining the wood fence) will be doing a spray method, which means the odor (and possibly chemicals?) will be floating in my back yard.

The hens' house is about 15 feet from this back fence. Assuming I keep the hens in their house and run that day (not allowed to roam) and probably also drape their house and run on the side that faces the wood fence (like with a very large drop cloth), is there anything else I should be aware of?

I won't let the hens out to roam again until the next day, but then the stain will likely be at the bottom edge of the fence, where the hens sometimes forage.

Seems like these hens generally know to not eat something they shouldn't - like a small piece of tin - so will they also know to not forage in the area immediately next to the fence, at least for a couple of weeks? Do they have a pretty good sense of smell and will steer clear?

Any advice or experience greatly appreciated.

NiceHens/Erika

I think what you have suggested is about all you can do. It would have been nice if the fence was painted before it was erected. chickens have a good sense of smell and will probably stay away from the fence if they dislike it. Over spray on your grass is more worrisome than the smell. Maybe water the grass after the spray to kinda wash the grass and let water sink in and dry before you let your chickens out. Maybe you can ask the contractor if the stain is non toxic or something to avoid until dry.
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

x2 on justplainbatty's advice. I hope your hens are okay with the wood staining!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom