Surprise! You're chicks have shipped.

TxChick77

Chirping
Apr 2, 2015
Southeast Tx
Background. ..
I ordered 8 day old chicks from an online hatchery on 3/26.
2 RiR
2 buff Orpingtons
2 SL wydonette
2 welsummers
All females. To ship 4/15

Fast forward to 4/1 my MIL decides she wants to add chicks to her farm and places an order with MCMURRAY. As we're scrolling thru the breeds, there are a lot of breeds available that the other site didn't have. So I figured i would cancel my original order and just add to MILs order.

...the chicken math is already in high gear at this point...

so I ordered 8 from MCMURRAY to arrive 4/27. All hens.
Red star
dark & light brahmas,
Faverolles
blue, black & partridge cochins
SL wydonette
Single of each breed.

seriously couldn't pick just one.

order with other hatchery canceled and monies credit back a few days later.

During that time, I thought, i really want that cute buff Orpington. And a welsummer - omg those chocolate eggs, and a RIR to counter act the low egg production of the cochins.
So I ordered some hatching eggs. And an incubator. Read read and read everything I could about incubating.

I was timing the hatch date right around the same time my McMurray order will arrive so everyone will be the same age and i dont have to deal with introducing older birds, pecking, etc.

so i made a deal with my neighbor I would incubate some eggs. Those extras that hatch, she would take to add to her flock. So I ordered my hatching eggs. Welsummers, buff Orpingtons, RIR...but wait look at those bielefelders..and those sussex. ..and oh my goodness - SERAMA. I have concluded I have no self control. I'm in serious trouble and have yet to receive my first chick.

So into the bator went [cough]48 eggs on the 10th.

Meanwhile I'm keeping myself busy with building my coop to house these chicks and keeping my hands out of that bator.

so yesterday morning while getting my son ready for his dr appt, I ran across an email that read, YOUR CHICKS HAVE SHIPPED.
Wait, what?
Seems the other hatchery made a booboo and shipped my canceled order. I called to find out what the hay, and the nice lady said "oops. Do you have a brooder ready? Enjoy your chicks."

So these cute little fuzzy chicken nuggets arrived an hour later at my post office.
I frantically called my MIL because there was no way my first call was going to be to my husband. ..lol We both laughed...then decided she would take a few and would talk to a lady in town that might want some.

Thank goodness I'm ocd and had all the brooder stuff waiting for my 4/27 batch.

onto my dilemma...these nuggets are cuter than anything I could imagine. Hubby was fine with the surprise delivery and I've already become dangerously attached to one of the welsummers. When she feel asleep on my chest several times last night...I was gone.
if..and only if I do keep 1 or 3 from this batch, how bad is it going to be too add the batch to the older group?

My other dilemma. ...how do I choice who gets to stay?
I'm in real trouble, right?

Last edited:
Btw...I know my odds of hatching all 48 eggs is low..all shipped eggs. If I get 5 that hatch, I'll be happy, but i have a plan in place for the extras.
I'm thinking total, I'll probably end up with 15 total at the end. Thank goodness I'm building my coop big enough.

Btw...I know my odds of hatching all 48 eggs is low..all shipped eggs. If I get 5 that hatch, I'll be happy, but i have a plan in place for the extras.
I'm thinking total, I'll probably end up with 15 total at the end. Thank goodness I'm building my coop big enough.
Boy, you just skip straight to the third year, don't you
lau.gif

If you have room, I would grow them out to about 8 weeks. By then they will be ready for outside, and you will have learned their personalities. Keep your favorite hens and a roo or two for yourself, then sell the others as started pullets and sell the cockerels cheap in groups of 4 or 5. CL is great for selling in my area, and started pullets of any breed will sell for $12-15

Boy, you just skip straight to the third year, don't you:lau
If you have room, I would grow them out to about 8 weeks. By then they will be ready for outside, and you will have learned their personalities. Keep your favorite hens and a roo or two for yourself, then sell the others as started pullets and sell the cockerels cheap in groups of 4 or 5. CL is great for selling in my area, and started pullets of any breed will sell for $12-15

Lol..I've got it bad,huh?

Originally we set out to get chickens for the eggs. Thats still top on our list, but I'm such a sucker for a sweet face. I want 1or 2 of all of them...seriously. I dont think our 2 acres will be enough to control my new found addiction. .lol

so should they be ok being 3 weeks apart in age? Or will i need a second brooder?

Lol..I've got it bad,huh?

Originally we set out to get chickens for the eggs. Thats still top on our list, but I'm such a sucker for a sweet face. I want 1or 2 of all of them...seriously. I dont think our 2 acres will be enough to control my new found addiction. .lol

so should they be ok being 3 weeks apart in age? Or will i need a second brooder?
I've mixed a new hatch into the last hatch, and it usually goes ok. Thee biggest problem isn't the size difference, its just that the older ones are so much more active. I would try it, but have a backup plan

So i should be ready with a second brooder just in case.

and why didn't anyone meantion the overwhelming adorableness?
The little leg stretches?
Narcolepsy while at the feeding bowl?
Sleeping with their legs stretched out? Or their head tucked under their wing?

they are so sticking cute!
Can't wait for my granddaughter to meet them.

So i should be ready with a second brooder just in case.

and why didn't anyone meantion the overwhelming adorableness?
The little leg stretches?
Narcolepsy while at the feeding bowl?
Sleeping with their legs stretched out? Or their head tucked under their wing?

they are so sticking cute!
Can't wait for my granddaughter to meet them.
The leg stretches are my absolute favorite

This is the cuties right now. Wrapped in my shirt napping. Not one little peep.

yesterday after their plane ride

The little welsummer that has stolen my heart

I've named het Summer

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom