Shipping just the minimum 3 baby chicks - packaging/shipping worries

A few days before my chicks were due to ship, I went to the PO where they would be delivered. I introduced myself, told them I was getting chicks, and when I thought they'd come in. They told me they'd call when the chicks arrived, and to come to the back door and ring the bell.

I just wanted to give them a heads up. I'm sure it was nothing special to them, but it sure was to me!
That’s a terrific idea! I’ll plan to do the same. I am not sure which post office will receive them though. I assume the closest one to me?

That’s a terrific idea! I’ll plan to do the same. I am not sure which post office will receive them though. I assume the closest one to me?
Oh, man, I'd guess so, but I don't know. I'm in such a small town, there is only one.

Maybe call the one closest to you and ask if they can determine if mail going to YOUR address goes through their facility. If not, maybe they can tell you where it would go? Tell them that you're getting live chicks through the mail.

In our town, we have a local USPS distribution center they’re all held at - they don’t go beyond that to the smaller post offices (like the one closest to me). When they arrive there, I’ll get an immediate phone call to come pick them up from to the truck delivery bay area in back. Last time I went to pick up chicks, there were two 6’ high carts filled with little boxes of cheepers!! The workers definitely were prompt, gentle and experienced in the process. Very vocal mail :D

In our town, we have a local USPS distribution center they’re all held at - they don’t go beyond that to the smaller post offices (like the one closest to me). When they arrive there, I’ll get an immediate phone call to come pick them up from to the truck delivery bay area in back. Last time I went to pick up chicks, there were two 6’ high carts filled with little boxes of cheepers!! The workers definitely were prompt, gentle and experienced in the process. Very vocal mail :D
Cool! How did you figure out they were held there? Did they just call you or did you know in advance?
Haha loudest mail I'll have ever received too!

Mine went to my local post office both times. We only have one 🤣 now I’m in a different town that also only has one lol but I don’t have chickens anymore.

Cool! How did you figure out they were held there? Did they just call you or did you know in advance?
Haha loudest mail I'll have ever received too!
I did the same thing the day my chicks shipped. I called my local post office to give them a heads up and the person I spoke to there let me know that they’d be held at the local central distribution center, where it was, and how to contact them.

Try giving your local office a call and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom