Shipping just the minimum 3 baby chicks - packaging/shipping worries

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I am getting mail order chicks for the first time. I’m getting the minimum order of 3 chicks from My Pet Chickens and they will ship Jun 10. I’m so excited, but already nervous and stressed about their well-being during transport from Ohio to Washington State.

I have seen a lot of images and videos of how larger shipments of chicks are packed. They are bunched up in the box for warmth and I assume to limit them jarring around in the box. But how are they boxed when it’s just 3 little ones? Are they in an itty bitty box that’s gonna get tossed around by the postal workers and in the airplane and trucks? Are they sectioned off in a larger box to where they are cozied up together? Will the box have some weight/heft added so they don’t get tossed and thrown around so easily?

Would really appreciate some info (and photos) of small order packaging and shipment!

Last edited:
Would really appreciate some info (and photos) of small order packaging and shipment!
I'm sorry I can't find the picture I took of my chicks in the postal box showing the heat pack. It was a Priority box with some excelsior packing material so the chicks wouldn't slip and slide around.

I ordered 4, got 5, and all are happy, healthy pullets now.

I'm sorry I can't find the picture I took of my chicks in the postal box showing the heat pack. It was a Priority box with some excelsior packing material so the chicks wouldn't slip and slide around.

I ordered 4, got 5, and all are happy, healthy pullets now.
Thanks for replying! Yeah, I'm paying $55 for shipping yikes! Glad to know yours were packed with care. I just have to pray that the postal office takes good care of them.

They will come in a small box with a little "nest" made of spiral wood shavings. There will be a heat pack.

They'll be happy little chirpy things! My mail carrier delivered them first thing because she obviously knew there were live animals in the package.

I'm in NJ, and the chicks from MPC came the day after shipping. They'll be fine!

I have ordered chicks a few times and the postal service always treated them well. The boxes are clearly marked, plus they have air holes punched in them. This is way you pay top dollar when they are shipped.

I will say, the only time the chicks/ducklings arrived in the 24 hour time frame that I paid for, was when I ordered from Townline, and that is in my state. One time it was three days. They were fine, but just the same...

This is how my order of 4 chicks from Meyer’s was shipped in September. They were all happy campers, chirping away. The little heat pack envelope lasted for their ~48hr travels, plus they have each other in an enclosed space.
IMG_4094.jpeg

This is what my small order from Meyer Hatchery looked like, similar to the above pic.

1706139641523.png

I have no fear that the workers handling the box knew there were live animals in there and to take care of the box. I heard them as soon as I walked into the post office to pick them up. The postal workers said they were cute at first but they got tired of listening to them cheep after a while.

A few days before my chicks were due to ship, I went to the PO where they would be delivered. I introduced myself, told them I was getting chicks, and when I thought they'd come in. They told me they'd call when the chicks arrived, and to come to the back door and ring the bell.

I just wanted to give them a heads up. I'm sure it was nothing special to them, but it sure was to me!

Back
Top Bottom