What breed is this baby?

Shady

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
WV
New to ducks here. I went to go get feed... and you know the rest of the story.
I came home with three little ducklings. I'm pretty sure the two black ones are Caguyas (solid black, and they don't have an upright stance), but I'm stumped on this little brown fellow. It was the most unique looking one at the store. I have never had ducks before, only chickens and turkeys, so I may be missing something really obvious, lol!
Does anyone have any ideas? It is around the same size as the other two, but much louder and wilder. The black ones are pretty friendly, but this one wants nothing to do with me.
Here are some pictures. They aren't the best, due to poor lighting, but should give you some idea.

This picture is shows the color pretty well. It looks almost like what would be considered agouti in other animals, with a dark tail and stripe on the head.

Spotty beak and feet

As close to a full body shot as I could get.

This one was just cute.
big_smile.png

I was doing some research on ducklings and I looked up the Buff Ducklings and they have similarities to them so they might be something you would want to look into.

The duck is from a hatchery, so I'm not sure if it could be mixed (though I suppose it's not impossible).

could be welsh , or silver aopple yard

but feed stores also do sell mixed breed ducklings, when they say they are not sure or anything like that. that is there way to sell mixed breeds as pure bred ducks legally so if u try t sue them for false product or anything they can simply say " we told u the we didnt know which breeds it was "
the hatcheries that sell to feed stores usually give ducklings to feed stores when they are unsure of the breed as well and its a whole cycle

to get real purebred babies try going to a show duck breeder or a breeder that is known for there honesty . thats when i sell ducklings i give a copy of their lineage to the buyer :)

anyway it doesnt really matter if its mixed its really cute

Last edited:
could be welsh , or silver aopple yard

but feed stores also do sell mixed breed ducklings, when they say they are not sure or anything like that. that is there way to sell mixed breeds as pure bred ducks legally so if u try t sue them for false product or anything they can simply say " we told u the we didn't know which breeds it was "
the hatcheries that sell to feed stores usually give ducklings to feed stores when they are unsure of the breed as well and its a whole cycle

to get real purebred babies try going to a show duck breeder or a breeder that is known for there honesty . that's when i sell ducklings i give a copy of their lineage to the buyer :)

anyway it doesnt really matter if its mixed its really cute
I beg to differ on your stance about feed stores and mixed breeds. All the feed stores around here get their ducks from a hatchery and they are not mixed breeds. I don't know of any hatchery that sells mixed breeds either, usually that's a backyard special. However feed stores have no idea what kinds of ducks they are for a few reasons; they were never told what types of breeds management bought or saw the invoice or the more likely case is that they bough hatchery choice and therefor no one knows what they are. Hatchery choice ducks are sold as on assortment and you get whatever they have extras of at the time. The hatchery does not say either so there is no way to find out what they are. It has nothing to do with them trying to con you into a mixed breed or anything like that. Frankly they really just don't know.

OP, I would venture a guess that it's a silver appleyard, but I don't know that breed very well so I'm not an expert.

I don't mind if it's a mixed breed, it's just going to be a pet. The Caguyas might be in a 4-H show or two, if they turn out well, but not little mystery duck. It could very well be an Appleyard (that's a pretty name by the way, I like that), although the pictures of seen of Appleyard ducklings seem to be a little lighter than this one. I guess I won't be able to tell until it's older. Here's another picture, you can't see the color or anything, I just thought it was pretty and wanted to share.

I don't mind if it's a mixed breed, it's just going to be a pet. The Caguyas might be in a 4-H show or two, if they turn out well, but not little mystery duck. It could very well be an Appleyard (that's a pretty name by the way, I like that), although the pictures of seen of Appleyard ducklings seem to be a little lighter than this one. I guess I won't be able to tell until it's older. Here's another picture, you can't see the color or anything, I just thought it was pretty and wanted to share.

I love that picture! What a pretty little duck.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom