Cockerel or Pullet?

Ellanora

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
I have 2 Astrolarps. One of their combs is significantly more developed then the other. He/she also has a bigger waddle. They are about a month and a half old. I don't know if he/she is a boy or a girl. And if he is a cockerel, what should I do with him?

I had the same thing a year ago and got 2 more hens about the same age. He turned out to be a heavy breeder and needed more hens. Luckly we hatched 3 boys from him and am hoping they are as strong. My suggestion would be get at least 4 or 5 more hens for him. But then again my chicken math in the last year has gone from 2 to 21...lol

I have 2 Astrolarps. One of their combs is significantly more developed then the other. He/she also has a bigger waddle. They are about a month and a half old. I don't know if he/she is a boy or a girl. And if he is a cockerel, what should I do with him?
Without actually seeing the bird (photos of both will help as it provides comparison), there is no way to tell you if this is a cockerel or pullet. As to what to do with a cockerel if that is what the bird is, that depends on a lot of factors - are you legally allowed to have a crowing bird on your property (many urban areas specifically prohibit them in the ordinances that allow for keeping of poultry), do you want to have a rooster, etc.?

Without actually seeing the bird (photos of both will help as it provides comparison), there is no way to tell you if this is a cockerel or pullet. As to what to do with a cockerel if that is what the bird is, that depends on a lot of factors - are you legally allowed to have a crowing bird on your property (many urban areas specifically prohibit them in the ordinances that allow for keeping of poultry), do you want to have a rooster, etc.?
x2

x3

These are the chickens. I had a hard time getting the shot. The one I am holding I think is a hen. While the other one could possibly be a cockerel

Back
Top Bottom