Pullets or cockerels

Sdisme

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2023
Ok so I need some help! I know for sure that my welsummer with black chest ( first pic) is a cockerel …all others are supposed to be pullets. They are same age- but several have larger pink combs and waddles forming. What do you think??

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1557.jpeg
    IMG_1557.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1560.jpeg
    IMG_1560.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 18
What age are these?

#2 needs a clearer picture of comb/wattles

3 may be a cockerel as it has a fair amount of comb

4 looks to be a pullet

5 is a definite pullet

6 has deeper red shoulders, so is probably a male, but its comb is small, so I wouldn't say it's 100%.

What age are these?

4 looks to be a pullet

5 is a definite pullet

6 has deeper red shoulders, so is probably a male, but its comb is small, so I wouldn't say it's 100%.
These were hatched 10/30. All were bought to be females except the first male welsummer…so disappointing if I have several cockerels. 🥴

These were hatched 10/30. All were bought to be females except the first male welsummer…so disappointing if I have several cockerels. 🥴
Well, there's nothing definite at this point except for the male Welsumer and the female in picture 5. I'm just reading the combs in pics 2 and 3, and #5 has those deep red shoulders. But I think it could go either way with them, so there's hope.

I don't think you mentioned where these chicks came from. Hatcheries claim a 92% success rate when sexing, but it doesn't always work out that way. Most will give a refund if you bought sexed pullets but got cockerels. On the other hand, most backyard breeders don't sex their birds, even if they say they do. So it's a chance everyone takes.

What age are these?

4 looks to be a pullet

5 is a definite pullet

What age are these?

4 looks to be a pullet

5 is a definite pullet

Another pic of 2

Attachments

• IMG_1588.jpeg
    IMG_1588.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 9
Well, there's nothing definite at this point except for the male Welsumer and the female in picture 5. I'm just reading the combs in pics 2 and 3, and #5 has those deep red shoulders. But I think it could go either way with them, so there's hope.

I don't think you mentioned where these chicks came from. Hatcheries claim a 92% success rate when sexing, but it doesn't always work out that way. Most will give a refund if you bought sexed pullets but got cockerels. On the other hand, most backyard breeders don't sex their birds, even if they say they do. So it's a chance everyone takes.
All came from My Pet Chicken. Still hopeful for just one Roo! Thanks for your opinion!

Back
Top Bottom