eggshell weirdness.

Ninjicka

Hatching
May 27, 2015
Most of my hens (Coturnix) are laying normal healthy looking eggs. They're only 8 weeks old and this is their first week of laying. One of the girls has laid eggs with almost white shells and the shells are a bit clumpy. there are little chunks of shell on the outside.

The other thing is that the rest of the eggs are 9-12 grams. These ones are consistently 17 grams.

Should I be worried? I know first eggs are always more abnormal than the regular ones.

I don't personally have quail, but my chickens lay eggs with calcium deposits on the outside, which make them all bumpy and funny looking.

Do you have any pictures?

I can't seem to get the pic uploaded. Would calcium deposits be a diet related problem? Will it hurt the hen? Why are the eggs so darn big?

I don't think calcium deposits are related to a poor diet, I think it is just a glitch in the egg-making system. As for the large eggs, that is probably genetic. Calcium deposits, if small, don't hurt the hen. I'm not sure if larger ones could hurt her or not.

Some coturnix quail do lay huge eggs. What type or colors do you have? Mine started laying a month ago and one of my first eggs was just a membrane, no shell at all. I quickly tossed in a lot of oyster shell and I haven't had a egg without a shell since. My eggs started out small and I wad very disappointed in them. Now they are massive and I'm thrilled. Occasionally I'll have one with a few bumps but it does not seem to be a issue.

edit: I recently got some Texas A&M eggs and the over all egg shell color is much lighter than my golden Manchurian and pharaoh egg colors..

Last edited:
Jumbo Coturnix according to the advert.

Radah (my weird egg layer) seems to be laying better eggs each time. The shell is becoming more consistent and smooth with each egg although I can still tell easily which are hers.

The egg you are describing is the result of stress. A hen can choose to hold an egg longer or clear it sooner. If something stresses her too much shell hold the egg in and her ovaduct will begin to paint it a second time. All white eggs are usually the opposite, she cleared it out due to stress or overbreeding.

Thanks guys. The stress thing makes sense too. I'm training my dog Sherlock to be a farm dog. One duty is to protect the quail. We had a rat snooping around the bottom of the hutch (four foot legs) for dropped food scraps. Sherlock would chase it away but we've only recently gotten him to be quiet while doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if rat+ barking dog under you= stress egg.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom