All ducklings DOA

The Grove

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I ordered 5 Welsh Harlequins from Metzer's farm and they all arrived dead. Makes me so sad. They were hatched June 25th, and just now got them. So sad :(

Oh that is sad, I'm sorry you lost your ducks. Have you contacted Metzer's?

Yes they're sending me a replacement next Monday :).

They shipped this last batch on the 25th and they got held at the airport until the 30th. No wonder they died. It wasn't Metzer's fault but they're replacing them for me anyways.

Yes they're sending me a replacement next Monday :).

They shipped this last batch on the 25th and they got held at the airport until the 30th. No wonder they died. It wasn't Metzer's fault but they're replacing them for me anyways.

5 DAYS at the AIRPORT?!?!? wow I am so sorry! :( I would insist that Metzer also pay for OVERNIGHT shipping if they can't track their packages better... This time of year, the heat will kill them faster than lack of food/water.. McMurray is where I get eggs/ ducklings, and have never had an issue like that. So sorry for your loss. :(

That's a bummer. Unfortunately once they are in the shippers hands Metzer can't do anything about moving them. I handled shipping products for 5.5 years and can't imagine having to worry about live animals. Shipping products and trying to get the shippers to meet guaranteed timeframes for eveyrthing is stressful enough.

I have twice ordered WH from Metzers and did not have any losses. They arrived healthy and happy. Crossing fingers that your next batch has a better experience.

Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately this is a risk everyone runs when shipping live animals. I've ordered from Metzer before and they were all healthy and alive hopefully this time there won't be any issues. They have very good customer service. Make sure they have Gro Gel as well.

That's a bummer.  Unfortunately once they are in the shippers hands Metzer can't do anything about moving them.  I handled shipping products for 5.5 years and can't imagine having to worry about live animals.  Shipping products and trying to get the shippers to meet guaranteed timeframes for eveyrthing is stressful enough.

I have twice ordered WH from Metzers and did not have any losses.  They arrived healthy and happy.  Crossing fingers that your next batch has a better experience.

That's exactly why *most hatcheries won't ship live animals after a certain time of year, and are so proud of their 3 day shipping that we pay for. I know it was obviously a carrier fault, but its just asking for trouble this time of year... I would be extremely cautious ordering live chicks/ ducks past May, unless you live in Canada :D

* ( maybe pay extra for OVERNIGHT? Might save some ducklings for a few bucks more...)

Last edited:
They smelled really bad. Like they had been dead for several days. I'm pretty sure they died before they even landed in Wisconsin. I even paid for Gro-gel but 7 days in a box is too much for them.

Back
Top Bottom